You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Highlight Color preference problem detected

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.1

MacBook Pro 13' 2016 Touch Bar (i7 3.3GHZ)

For some reason, my can not change highlight color to blue.

In the System Preference, General.

Even though highlight color is blue, its showing dark grey in system. I then changed it to some other color and changed it back to blue, highlight color some times will be in blue but some times will not be changed.

Also If I restarted computer, highlight color will automatically be in dark grey (and its showing blue in system preferences).

I tried First Aid but the problem will not be solved.

Is it a bug?

Thanks for your time and help!!!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Nov 27, 2016 7:27 PM

5 replies

Nov 30, 2017 5:45 PM in response to AshtonCoop

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Nov 28, 2016 8:01 PM in response to AshtonCoop

Hello AshtonCoop,

Thanks for asking about the highlight color here in the Apple Support Communities. I am happy to check this out with you.

The first thing I recommend is for you to boot into safe mode. Safe mode will tell us if the issue is related to a startup item or plugins, and sometimes is all that is necessary to correct some problems. When you boot to safe mode, log in to your account and check if the issue is also occurring in safe mode or not. This article will help you with the steps to boot into safe mode: Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up . If everything is working properly in safe mode, but then is not working after you restart the Mac to leave safe mode and boot back into your user account, please check the section titled "If an issue doesn't happen in safe mode" for the next troubleshooting steps.

If the issue is also happening in safe mode, then move on to see if this problem occurs in another test administrator user account on your Mac. A test user will let us know if the issue is isolated to your account, or system wide. Please check this help article: How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac . If the issue is being experienced in the test user also, then please check the section titled "If an issue happens in more than one user account" from the article provided above which will lead you to this help article: Mac OS X: How to troubleshoot a software issue .

Thanks again and have a great rest of your day.

Dec 7, 2016 8:33 PM in response to brenden dv

Hi there,

I tried Safe Mode, problem still exists. If I change Highlight Color for many times, the highlight color will not be correct (the actual highlight color is not the color set in setting).

I then quit Safe Mode and restarted. Created a new user. Initially the highlight color is in blue which is default. but if I change Highlight Color as I did in safe mode, the problem will occur.

I gave up.

So right now, the default highlight color will be something like dark grey in my system even though Highlight Color is set as Blue in General.

Thanks for your reply.

Highlight Color preference problem detected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.