Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari auto redirect me to unwanted urls

Hello,

i have a big problem and i can't find a solution for it,

when i try to enter any website on safari or chrome it redirect me automatically to another unwanted url and spam websites in the same tab i try to enter a website in.

i tried to clear all websites data and caches and history and the problem still remain, and also i tried to reset my internet router 2 times and nothing happened,

i don't know what to do and i need your help,

thank you.

MacBook Pro, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2016 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2017 2:30 PM

I had the same problem as Safari kept directing me to the same URL despite me entering a different URL on both Safari and Chrome browsers. This is how I resolved it.

Open your Safari, go to Preference, then click on Advanced, then look for Proxies: Change Settings.

Click on Change Settings, then go to Proxies, then untick Web Proxy (HTTP) and also untick the checkbox against Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV). Then try again tonow enter a different URL on your Safari & Chrome browsers and it should work now.

Hope the above will help out some of you having the same problem.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2017 2:30 PM in response to AhmedSaid07

I had the same problem as Safari kept directing me to the same URL despite me entering a different URL on both Safari and Chrome browsers. This is how I resolved it.

Open your Safari, go to Preference, then click on Advanced, then look for Proxies: Change Settings.

Click on Change Settings, then go to Proxies, then untick Web Proxy (HTTP) and also untick the checkbox against Use Passive FTP Mode (PASV). Then try again tonow enter a different URL on your Safari & Chrome browsers and it should work now.

Hope the above will help out some of you having the same problem.

Sep 30, 2017 6:14 AM in response to Eric Root

Can anyone throw any further light on this? Safari 10.1 OSX 10.12.4.

Still getting the same problems. No spurious Safari Extensions. Adblock installed for some time, but problem only started recently.

Ran Malwarebytes. Initially showed some problems, but now iMac is 'clean' and no files in Quarantine. Problem persists.

Tried Equalizer1618 suggestion above, but did not work either.

Help would be appreciated.

Nov 28, 2016 12:53 PM in response to AhmedSaid07

1. Click  in the menu bar and choose “Force Quit”.

In the window that opens up, select “Safari” and click “Force Quit.

2. Relaunch Safari holding the shift key down.

3. If this doesn’t help, use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac to remove adware.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

Download, install , open, and run it by clicking “Scan for Adware” button to remove adware.

Once done, quit Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac.

4. Disable Extensions and test.

Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Select and disable all extensions and test.

Enable Extensions one by one and test.

To uninstall any extension, select it and click the “Uninstall” button.

5. Safari > Preferences > Search > Search engine:

Select your preferred search engine.

6. Visit the site you want it to be the Home page

Safari > Preferences > General > Homepage

Click the button “Set to Current Page” button.

7. Restart the Mac.

Safari auto redirect me to unwanted urls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.