Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

64 gig of RAM kills graphic card...

I have a 2.93 Quad-Core (4.1) Mac Pro. EFI updated to 5.1.

The strangest thing: when I upgrade RAM to fill all slots (4x16) the graphics card freezes at startup. It works with 3 slots filled (48 gig). Why?

At first i though there was something wrong with the RAM (1066 DDR3) – but then I noticed I could access the computer through file sharing – it´s up and running! I´m using the DVI port.

Is this a known problem – what to do?

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 28, 2016 2:00 PM

8 replies

Nov 28, 2016 3:59 PM in response to oscten

That is really interesting, because that is the one card that relies solely on Bus Power, and does not require the use of any Aux power cables to function properly.

Could the memory modules be using up too much power, and starving the GT120 for power?

Can you activate screen sharing and make sure that all four memory modules are marked "present"?

Nov 28, 2016 5:38 PM in response to oscten

no, the card can't accept power from anywhere else.

I thought I remembered OWC/MacSales limiting you to three @ 16GB in the four-core models. I checked their site, and sure enough, they say only three. Maybe they know something we don't:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory?_ga=1.81433108.201351004.1 472751011#1066-memory

64 gig of RAM kills graphic card...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.