Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook won't install app, insufficient permissions alert

I have a new Macbook Pro, and I am attempting to install Gradebook by PowerSchool. When I downloaded it on my old Macbook, I had to change a permission in security to allow downloads from unidentified developers, however I notice that is no longer an option, I'm wondering if that is related to the issue. I can download the installer (gradebook.dmg), but when I open it I get the following message:

"Error copying application to: /Users/CaitlinSheehan/Applications, possibly due to having insufficient permissions. Please Choose a folder to install to."

I've chosen downloads, library, applications, documents, and each time I get the following message:

"Finder got an error: Handler can’t handle objects of this class. (-10010)"

I've followed the instructions from this thread. I followed the first step and nothing changed. I tried following the second step but when I got to reset password there was no option for "Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, " instead, it just walked me through resetting my password which I didn't want to do.

I kind of need to input my students' grades, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Nov 29, 2016 9:56 AM

3 replies

Nov 30, 2016 7:10 PM in response to Caiti Rae

I found the installer and it is running an AppleScript to copy the program to your user/Applications/Gradebook folder.

I think they are idiots, but I guess you must use the program. They should have just put the App directly on the dmg so you could drag it to anywhere you'd like.

Here is how to copy it manually using Terminal.

1. Open your Home folder.
  2. If there is not an Applications folder in your home folder, create one.
  3. Create a new folder called Gradebook inside of the Applications folder.
  4. With the Disk Image mounted, copy and paste this command into a Terminal Window and hit return.
cp -R /Volumes/Gradebook/.Gradebook.app/ ~/Applications/Gradebook/Gradebook.app/

They seem to want you to launch it from an alias on your desktop. I don't know if that is necessary, but if so, hold down cmd+opt while you drag the Gradebook App to your Desktop. You can then rename it "Gradebook Login" as that is what they want it to be.

If you run into problems or are confused by any step, just ask.

P.S. They do a lot of goofy crap, and there are a few more steps that need to be done online.

1. Return to the PowerTeacher portal.

2. Click \"Launch\" in the New Gradebook Launch area on the main menu.

3. If PowerTeacher Gradebook does not automatically launch, open the downloaded file \"LaunchGradebook.ptg\". You can set this type of file to open automatically through your browser.

When the Gradebook opens, your installation is complete.

To launch PowerTeacher Gradebook in the future, click \"Launch\" in the New Gradebook Launch area, or use the \"Gradebook Login\" shortcut on your desktop."

They should likely hire a few qualified software engineers. Good luck with the software.

New Macbook won't install app, insufficient permissions alert

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.