Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ability of OS to embed fonts in a PDF

I have just installed Microsoft Word 2016.

I had trouble saving a PDF with embedded fonts. This is to maintain the format of a book document.

Microsoft tech stated that MS Word 2016 for Mac can't save a PDF with embed fonts. Word for Windows has this option.

Would be interested to know if Pages or other alternatives can save a PDF with embed fonts.

Wondering why OS10.12.1 is not compatible with such a function. Microsoft tech said they had zero plans to include this function into Word for Mac.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, MacBook 2010 and original iPad

Posted on Nov 29, 2016 12:48 PM

12 replies

Nov 29, 2016 1:08 PM in response to Memoire

Somebody at MS doesn't know what they're talking about. If you choose OS X's / macOS's built in Save as PDF command after choosing Print, it always save subsets of the fonts used in a document in the resulting PDF.

I typed this lengthy dissertation in Word 2016.

User uploaded file

Saved the PDF out of Word and opened it in Acrobat (full version) to check and make sure the fonts used in the document were included. They were.

User uploaded file

Nov 30, 2016 6:16 AM in response to VikingOSX

Nope. Nowhere in Word 2016's preferences is there a specific option to tell it to embed fonts. All I did was choose Print (doesn't matter what printer it shows as going to), clicked PDF at the lower left, and then OS X's built in Save as PDF option. Voilà! Embedded fonts.

User uploaded file

Choosing Save as Adobe PDF so it went through the Acrobat Distiller also correctly embedded any fonts I had in a Word 2016 document.

Nov 30, 2016 6:13 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thank you for the input Kurt.

Actually, on the book publishing company forum, I found many people who had trouble using the standard save as PDF using MS Word 2016 and finding the fonts weren't embedded when they uploaded to the publishing site server.

True, MS tech were not at all helpful, I spent hours with 2 of them without success.

I no longer user Adobe Acrobat Pro, so that option for conversion isn't available as a means to check; but I will research further. It seems logical that save as PDF should embed the font like you mentioned.

I tried to find a download for Acrobat Distiller you mentioned in your other reply but couldn't find it on Adobe's site now. I guess it is part of the Adobe Acrobat Pro installation?

Nov 30, 2016 7:48 AM in response to Memoire

Yes, Acrobat Pro and the Distiller come together. You can't purchase the Distiller separately. Last I heard, Acrobat DC Pro was still available as a standalone purchase, as was Lightroom. That is, you didn't have to go with the monthly never-ending subscription to get it.

As I look on Adobe's site now, I can't find a perpetual license version of Acrobat DC Pro. They only show two different subscription options. Amazon.com shows a boxed full version, but it ain't cheap at $449. They also show an upgrade version for $199, but are out of stock. MacConnection has the upgrade and full version in stock. MacMall also has boxed perpetual license copies in stock.

From what I could(n't) find on Adobe's site, they may have stopped offering a boxed version of Acrobat DC Pro. Which would mean the other vendors I noted above would be what they have left. It's still the same software, just may be the last chance to get a perpetual license copy.

Why the Pro version? It's not that the built-in OS PDF generator doesn't work, but what it does do is always knock your images down to heavily compressed, and low resolution JPEGs. Were they CMYK to begin with because they needed to be? Too bad. They're RGB now.

I'm not sure how many versions back Acrobat DC Pro would accept your older version's serial number. If you purchase an upgrade DC copy and your previous version is too many back, then you'll have an upgrade copy you can't activate. Check with Adobe by calling customer support to be sure.

Nov 30, 2016 11:36 AM in response to Kurt Lang

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro that will run on my old computer. The worse option would be to save the MS Word .doc to an external drive and the modify to a font embedded PDF on that computer. If my memory serves me best, I never actually got success using that option in Acrobat Pro in the past.

Today, I downloaded Calibre and Publisher Lite, so will test those out to see if they can overcome the issue.

Thank you for your support Kurt, much appreciated.

Nov 30, 2016 11:55 AM in response to Memoire

That is a great idea. Why spend anything if you can use the older version on another Mac to produce a PDF?

The lack of getting fonts embedded with the Distiller may be due to the Distiller itself. Here I randomly selected PDF/A-1b:2005 (CMYK) from Distiller's preset choices. The main thing to do here is press Command+E to check the settings. Click on the Fonts tab and make sure the top check box Embed all fonts is on.

User uploaded file

With that on, Word 2016 had no problem creating a PDF through the Save as Adobe PDF option with three randomly chosen fonts activated with Suitcase Fusion.

User uploaded file

Not that this alone is a praise worthy effort. The OS also created a PDF with the fonts embedded. The point is just to make sure that box is checked, or nothing will be embedded.

Ability of OS to embed fonts in a PDF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.