Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Most icons missing from menu bar and other toolbars

I'm suddenly having issues with so many of the toolbars, it couldn't fit in the topic line, honestly. Most of the icons have disappeared from my menu bar, basically all of the OS-related icons. The only ones that are displayed are ones I've downloaded (one other one I downloaded isn't displaying, but all Mac-related ones aren't showing, such as the battery indicator, volume, WiFi). Apple icon isn't showing.

Also, I don't use Safari so initially I didn't think it was an issue, but I checked just to see, and indeed the icons on there (back, forward, share, etc.) aren't loading.

Aaaaaand on top of that, the toolbar for Finder is messed up. Just like Safari, the icons are just blank, all of them. Here is a screenshot that shows what I'm seeing. This didn't happen when I booted my computer up, it suddenly happened while I was in the middle of using it. I thought maybe I was low on RAM (my PC back in the 90s would do that) so I rebooted and it still was doing it. Shut it down and it's still doing it.

Not sure if it matters but I haven't downloaded any software or updated anything lately, in fact I've been constantly ignoring the iTunes update for the past couple months. The last update I did was the OS update they put out.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 29, 2016 3:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2016 4:44 PM

Try resetting LaunchServices:

Open Terminal

Triple click anywhere on the below line to copy entire line then paste the command

at the prompt.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchSe rvices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -seed -domain local -domain system -domain user

Then press return. Wait for the cursor to return to the command line.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2016 4:44 PM in response to dizrythmia

Try resetting LaunchServices:

Open Terminal

Triple click anywhere on the below line to copy entire line then paste the command

at the prompt.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchSe rvices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -seed -domain local -domain system -domain user

Then press return. Wait for the cursor to return to the command line.

Nov 30, 2016 2:11 PM in response to dizrythmia

Hmm, are you running Photoshop or any Adobe Creative Suite apps?

Start up inSafe Mode and see if the problem still occurs?

Restart holding the "shift" key.

(Expect it to take longer to start this way because it runs a directory check first. Also give it a little time after start because it runs some maintenance routines in the beginning.) You will also notice wavy lines on your display, nothing wrong Safe Mode just does that.

Most icons missing from menu bar and other toolbars

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.