Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Webpages on Safari are showing text only

Hi Everyone,

Having a bit of trouble with my internet browsers on MacBook Pro (Running Yosemite 10.10.5/Safari 9.0.1)

I have Safari and Google Chrome installed on laptop and experiencing problems with both.

On Chrome, when trying to open most webpages I receive an error saying that my connection is not private.

Whenever I try to open any webpage on Safari, I'm met with an invalid certificate warning. I can usually click on continue and this will bring me to the desired page but this will then lead to the next problem...

The vast majority of pages I can open are text only (on safari and Chrome)

I'm not sure if these issue are related or not, I just think it's interesting that I'm encountering the exact same problem on both browsers.

I've already tried a few things:

- my date and time settings are correct, have been reset multiple times and are now back on automatic

- I've cleared caches and history again and again. Reset Safari and Chrome multiple times

- Run CCleaner on the laptop twice to make sure both browsers were completely clear

- I had avast antivirus on the laptop and read that disabling the web shield might fix the problem... it didn't... I then deleted avast to see if it would help... which it didn't

- I have images, styles and JavaScript all enabled in Develop menu

- I don't have any extensions installed at all on either browser

- I've tried reinstalling the OS but am either told that the verification of my laptop has timed out or that there aren't any for my particular laptop. I assume these error messages are appearing for the same reason that I keep getting invalid certificate warnings, as I've previously reinstalled the OS and everything went fine.

(Safari works fine in guest sessions on the laptop)

Posted on Nov 29, 2016 5:05 PM

2 replies

Nov 30, 2016 1:41 AM in response to Vintageshake

Go step by step and test.

1. Startup in Safe Mode and restart normally using the “Restart” button at the bottom.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25617?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

2. Safari > Preference > Advanced

Checkmark the box beside "Show Develop menu in menu bar".

Develop menu will appear in the Safari menu bar.

Click “Develop” to show the dropdown.

Click "Empty Caches" from the dropdown and test.

Make sure that “Disable Images” is not selected.

If you see a checkmark beside “Disable Images”, click on it to remove it and test.

3. Remove Cookies and test.

Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and other website data:

Click the “Manage Website Data” button.

It will take a while for cookies and caches to load.

Remove all cookies except ones from Apple, your internet service provider and banks.

4. Avast is an unnecessary application on a Mac.

Webpages on Safari are showing text only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.