Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac login name font name looks wrong

My username font is off. It doesn't look white any longer. It's now grey and has a shadow. I did see a suggestion to reboot in safe mode and disable extensions. I've done both with no luck. Is there any other fix? It only happens upon initial booting of the Mac. If I have to restart or if it goes into sleep mode and I wake it back up, the font looks white and bold as it should.

Here's an example of what it looks like. (It is not my actual machine but it looks the exact same way.)User uploaded file

iPad Air, iOS 8.1, None.

Posted on Nov 30, 2016 1:16 PM

10 replies

Nov 30, 2016 1:20 PM in response to Bthomason77

Might be a third party font issue ...

Open the Font Book located in your Applications folder.

Then go to the Font Book menu bar and click Edit > Look for Enabled Duplicates

If there are no duplicates found, back to the Font Book menu bar, click File > Restore Standard Fonts

Fonts not included in the OS X system install will be placed in a "Fonts (Removed) folder next to the Fonts folder.

Dec 7, 2016 7:37 AM in response to Bthomason77

Here's another fairly simple one.

Close all running applications. From an administrator account, open the Terminal app and enter the following command. You can also copy/paste it from here into the Terminal window:

sudo atsutil databases -remove

Terminal will then ask for your admin password. As you type, it will not show anything, so be sure to enter it correctly.

This command removes all font cache files. Both for the system and the current logged in user account. After running the command, close Terminal and immediately restart your Mac.

Since the caches won't be rebuilt until after the Mac is coming back to the desktop, you may not see any difference the first time. So once at the desktop, restart again to check.

Dec 7, 2016 7:46 AM in response to Bthomason77

The command Carolyn had you try removes any third party fonts from the three main Fonts folders that may have been causing the problem. However, do either of these apply?

1) Have you removed any OS supplied fonts?

2) Are you using your font manager (whether Font Book or any third party option) to automatically enable third party fonts "in place" on each startup?

"In place" means the fonts are activated from wherever they reside. So they can still be activated even if not in one of the three main Fonts folders. Since they are not any of those three folders, the Font Book command Restore Standard Fonts won't do anything to disable them.

Dec 7, 2016 8:23 AM in response to Bthomason77

If you disable & enable specific fonts then : Open font book via spotlight , & click all fonts . Click the name of the font in the font column & choose disable font name family from the edit menu .

Fonts that have been disabled have their names displayed in grey with the word OFF appearing next to the fonts name .

So , If you 'd like to enable a font that was previously disabled , click the name of the font from the fonts column , then take your cursor on top menu bar & click on edit , choose font having OFF in front of it , choose enable font family .

Note : System fonts can't be disabled .

Dec 29, 2016 5:36 AM in response to adio

I broke down and called Apple support.

The tech had me do the following steps and it fixed the issue:

Go to the Apple

Click on System Pref

User / Groups

(I am the only user)

I created a DUMMY user.

Shut down my computer (not a restart)

Powered up my computer (Issues was already cleared)

Deleted DUMMY user acct.

Shut down my computer and powered it back up and the issue was fixed.

Apparently it is not a font issue. It is something that happens within the User visual area - the tech has only seen it twice before and has been with Apple quite a long time.

Hope that helps!

Dec 29, 2016 7:05 AM in response to Bthomason77

It is something that happens within the User visual area - the tech has only seen it twice before and has been with Apple quite a long time.

Wow. There's one to write down for future reference. I wonder who figured out such a rare and seemingly unrelated trigger for a problem to begin with?

Thank you very much for sharing that. It will eventually help other users who find this topic searching for the same solution.

Mac login name font name looks wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.