Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Fn keys with Touch Bar and Citrix

I use Citrix to connect remotely to my work machine. Although I followed the instructions in Using function keys on MacBook Pro with Touch Bar - Apple Support Citrix uses something called "Citrix Viewer" to connect to desktops. Unable to add this as an "Application" when I go into system prefs->keyboard->shortcuts->Fn keys. Would anyone know how to make Citrix Viewer a selectable option for keyboard shortcuts?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016)

Posted on Nov 30, 2016 5:16 PM

12 replies

Aug 30, 2017 8:33 AM in response to iprassas

I was able to get it to work.

After clicking + to add the application to the Keyboard Shortcuts, click the folder location (e.g. Applications) above the file list and select your hard drive (e.g. Macintosh HD).

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Next select the Users folder, and then your user "home" folder.

User uploaded file

Now select the Applications folder...

User uploaded file

In the user Applications folder you should have the icons for your various Citrix applications.

Select the one you want the function keys to be displayed in and you're all set.

Sep 6, 2017 4:18 PM in response to vmnkishore

Use Citrix and F2 function for Electronic Medical records. Just bought the new touchbar MacBook Pro.

Followed the instructions along w Apple tech at the store. Addd the app to the keyboard page as requested-supposed to show F2, F3 functions when on Citrix but it does NOT. Any ideas? May have to switch out the computer for a new one w/o the touchbar feature. Help requested!! Tx.

Dec 2, 2016 3:38 PM in response to vmnkishore

Citrix viewer is a helper app inside the citrix receiver package. You can browse it in the finder. The viewer is under the helpers folder. The dialog window opened by the operation you followed in the instructions does not allow you to browse the package contents and associate the citrix viewer executable with the function keys, however if you located the file in a separate finder window, you can drag it on the dialog you opened earlier and add it this way in the list of apps that always show F-keys with the touch bar.

Dec 4, 2016 7:57 AM in response to avidal5280

Great you found an alternative method @avidal5280. I suspect Citrix will create a touchbar configuration for the receiver so we don't have to do this in the near future.

In case my description was not clear and for those who might want to add it without taking it out of its container, here's an animated gif on how you add it to the function keys shortcut after you located the citrix viewer file:

User uploaded file

Using Fn keys with Touch Bar and Citrix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.