Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard, K key sporadically not working, 2016 MBP

I recently got my new 2016 MacBook Pro 15".

What I have noticed is that sometimes, very rarely, the k key is not functioning quite correctly.

Sometimes I have to hit it 5 times to make it work. This usually happens after I didn't use the laptop for an hour or so (and it went to sleep).

Recently, since I used the MBP more, it has become more and more rare and the performance of the key seems more "on point" (usually have to only hit it twice to make it work after such time).

Very very rarely hitting the k key once produces the letter twice.

Is this a software or a hardware issue? Will this just go away entirely with more use? What should I do?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Nov 30, 2016 6:31 PM

11 replies

Feb 26, 2017 9:52 PM in response to Doridian

Over past few weeks I've notice something kind of weird using the KB on my MBP13,3. It is related to me using the "B" key.

I find I use the "B" key quite a lot and most of the time I use it to enter a "b" it doubles it up to be "bb". I press the keys with equal/consistent pressure as best I can determine.

I've tried all the letter keys and find this issue only happens with the "B" key.

Let me say, it's very annoying for me as entering my Apple ID and a host of other things using my name that starts with "b" I get this "bb" being echoed to the screen.

Would you say my "B" key is faulty and needs repairing or even better for the MBP to be replaced all together to have this issue resolved ?

I'm apt to goto my local Apple Store and try this "B" key scenario to see if it happens on another MBP13,3 like mine.

Now it's possible I do hit the "B" key harder than the other keys as it's on the first row and in the center above the space key.

So here are two examples of me typing away on my MBP.......

Example-1

barry barry barry bbarry barry barry barry barry barry barry barry bbarrytsharp barrysharp bxs bxs bxs bxs bbxs barry barry
bxs bxs barry barry barry barry barry barry barry barry bbarry bxs bxs bxs bxs barry barry barrysharp Barry

Example-2

b bb b bb bb b b b b b b bb bb b b b b b b b b b b b b b bb b b b b b b b b b b

I've tried hitting the "B" softly and hard and even with a soft press/hit the "bb" will at times be echoed to the screen.

What do you think my issue is ? Am I'm hitting the "B" key too hard or is the "B" key somewhat flaky ?

OK.... So I went to my local Apple Store today hoping to get/squeeze in for a Genius appointment rather than wait for my scheduled one for Mar 1st. I lucked out as I was told to go off to get a coffee or what not and they would text me when Genius ready. I got to the coffee bar and got my coffee and a breakfast bun and as I started to drink/eat my phone buzzed and a text message stating come on back to the Apple Store.

I grabbed up my things and rushed back to the store that was just minutes away and showed my OP that I posted here to the Genius person.

Several keyboard tests were run on my MBP13,3 and the Genius was able to replicate the issue I was having with the "B" key with his typing and using the "B" key at times. User uploaded file

Incidentally, the keyboard diagnostic did not reveal any issue with the "B" key that I could see. The diagnostic keyboard test runs through each keyboard key seperately and it was interesting to watch it go through its motions key by key.

Now I/we got down to business... what to do ?

• Repair would mean having to leave the MBP13,3 with them for 5 days as they would have to order parts.
  • Let them order parts; logic board + keyboard and other integral parts and then bring MBP bak to store and wait a whole day for them to repair it.
  • As I had bought the MBP from PowerMax in Oregon they were at first hesitant in replacing my MBP as I had not bought it from their store.
  • I chatted with the Store Manager and after a small amount of banter back and forth they agreed to replace my MBP.
  • I had backup my MBP yesterday at 6:32 PM and had not really added much in the way of new data since.
  • I agreed they could erase my MBP and for me to restore/migrate my user data and MBP settings from my backup I had at home.
  • I watched them erase my MBP13,3 at the Store.
  • I then, with them monitoring, setup the new MBP13,3 to the point I would be able to migrate my 'stuff' from my backup when returning home.
  • I have to Call Apple Care to have my AppleCare+ transferred to the new MBP13,3.
  • I recorded the SN for the old MBP before leaving the Store as that would be needed for transferring the AppleCare+.

Here's the formal "Problem Description/Diagnosis" as presented by the Store as a paper copy for my records...

• Issue: customer states "B" key sticks and causes repeat text entry
  • Steps to Reproduce: Reproduced at bar via entering text in guest user
  • Keyboard Diags - Pass but did note b key showed multiple presses
  • Positioned exchange at original place of purchase
  • Positioned depot and in store repair
  • Due to length of time to complete repair and relative new machine, offering retail replacement of device.
  • Resolution: Ownership Opportunity
  • Reason: Red Zone
  • Employee xxxxxxxxx

No matter, I now have a brand new MBP13,3 that I need to get software/setup and back to where my previous faulty one was at.

When setting up the new MBP13,3 at the Store we collectively checked all the keys to ensure they were not misbehaving as was my "B" key on the old MBP13,3. It passed with flying colors. User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

So now with the new replaced MBP13,3 hopefully any password entry I have will not be troublesome when it has a letter "b"/"B" in it. User uploaded file

IMO... Apple did the right thing here for me in replacing my old MBP13,3.

Jun 14, 2017 12:12 AM in response to Doridian

I had this problem, also with the 'k' key, when my MBP 15" 2016 was brand new, straight out of the box. I called Support prior to taking it in for warranty repair, and following their instructions noted that the key failed to register when struck squarely in the middle, but did work when pressed on the edge or corners of the key. After a few repeated corner pressings, the key started to work normally even when pressed in the middle.

Although the 'k' key now doesn't feeel excatly the same as the other keys I haven't gone ahead with the repair for various reasons, including the fact that I use an external keyboard 95% of the time, and that my nearest Apple Service provider is in another country...

Dec 1, 2016 5:38 AM in response to Doridian

The more I use my MBP, the less it seems to happen.

Like today even after a whole night's sleep, the k key was instantly responsive and working...

I think I'll wait since I got a full year of warranty until the supplies are better incase I need a replacement (so I can get a new one faster). Maybe the issue has fully vanished by then. At this rate it will.

By now the issue is so rare, it is as common as me typo-ing when typing fast, so it doesn't affect me much, and it seems better than some issues people seem to have which I am unaffected by entirely.

I am now keeping the keyboard viewer open to see if it registers the keypress when an app doesn't recognize me pressing the key to see if it is hardware or software (I have had the return key not working before due to an app with Accessibility permissions somehow blocking it...)

Thank you for your replies 🙂

Keyboard, K key sporadically not working, 2016 MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.