Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 5K goes to sleep mode (blank/black screen), the screen will not wake up unless Imac is rebooted

Got this bug just last week awhile after updating to El Capitan......

https://macperformanceguide.com/blog-2016-01.html#20160121_0928-OSX_10_11_3-Slee pBug-iMac5K

Model Name: iMac 27"

Model Identifier: iMac12,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM121.0047.B23

SMC Version (system): 1.72f2

Serial Number (system): C02GCEGXDHJP

Hardware UUID: E7A93B22-3482-5D4B-937B-B3EFC7110EFC

Had it dropped off at an Apple Authorized service depot after trying fruitlessly to solve the problem, was sure it was hardware related, backlight, video card etc. The no wake symptom occurred once at service and was fine after that until I got it back home.

The problem then returned repeated just after a few minutes of use and not even completing a reboot to the login, rebooting into internet recovering the screen was stable but that would only allow reinstalling LION. The screen was also stable after several attempts trying to get to recovery mode and reinstall of 10.11.6 which was successful, hoping that had solved the problem.

Currently at at 10.11.6.... unfortunately the problem has returned but so far much less frequently, lowering the brightness with the F1 key caused it twice to go into the black screen requiring a reboot, other than that it has been relatively stable but the bug continues to exist none the less.

Regards

Robert

Apple TV (2nd generation)

Posted on Dec 1, 2016 12:18 AM

3 replies

Dec 1, 2016 9:55 AM in response to rob80b

Problem has just recently gotten worse after being stable, on reboot goes to white screen with chime for a few seconds then black, got to login screen a few times prior to that but now cannot even get it to reset NVRAM or boot into recovery or diagnostics. Using apple wire extended keyboard.

Found a few other comments here but still no definitive solution, quite a few users like myself have had their units into an authorized service center with no success.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imac-screen-goes-black-must-hard-reboot-help .1375427/

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/79159/Random+Black+screen,+Help+please
"I had the same problem and the fix was easy. Download and install the SMC fan control program and bump up the speed on the HD fan. In my case the HD was too hot. I haven't had the issue since."

"I spent under $150 for parts and tools, and ended up successfully replacing the inverter board and power supply. It looked to me as they had been corrupted by moisture and dust."

iMac 5K goes to sleep mode (blank/black screen), the screen will not wake up unless Imac is rebooted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.