Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Names autocorrect to ALL CAPS

I've had a problem for years across my macs and iOS devices: certain names change to ALL CAPS when I type them in Text Messages and sometimes emails (I think). It's first names only - when I type Murray it auto completes to MURRAY etc. Any ideas?

macbook, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Dec 1, 2016 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2017 10:50 AM

The solution given to you regarding this problem is not a good one, as when you turn off the "auto cap" it no longer capitizes the first letter of new paragraph/sentance, if auto caps is turned on it automactically caps all letters in a proper name, solution (computer rewrite code) needed! it is not proper language skills either way, names in all caps or first letter of sentences not capitalized? i do not remember this in past apple updates, not moral, makes user spend more time correcting something that should be automatic & correct!!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2017 10:50 AM in response to sterno65

The solution given to you regarding this problem is not a good one, as when you turn off the "auto cap" it no longer capitizes the first letter of new paragraph/sentance, if auto caps is turned on it automactically caps all letters in a proper name, solution (computer rewrite code) needed! it is not proper language skills either way, names in all caps or first letter of sentences not capitalized? i do not remember this in past apple updates, not moral, makes user spend more time correcting something that should be automatic & correct!!

Dec 2, 2016 6:25 PM in response to sterno65

Hello sterno65,
Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I understand you are having an issue with automatic capitalization on your iPhone. I know how important it is to have your device working the way you want, and I'm here to help.

Try to turn off Auto-Capitalization. Let's go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Auto-Capitalization.
(green is on/white is off)

Let me know if this helps.
Have a great day!

Names autocorrect to ALL CAPS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.