Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 12-in — how to disable the charging sound?

I'm trying to disable the chime that sounds when the macbook is connected to the power source. I did it once previously using the command found here: https://www.macissues.com/2015/04/17/enable-a-power-charging-indicator-sound-on- your-macbook-when-plugged-in/ but the chime is restarted when macbook is rebooted, and now that I've tried it again, it doesn't work. When I try it, terminal returns this:

2016-12-01 13:26:39.678 defaults[21085:3867359]

Domain (com.apple.PowerChime) not found.

Defaults have not been changed.

Not sure what to do, any help would be appreciated. I'd love it if I could remove the chime permanently so that even if I reboot my mac, it doesn't come back.

MacBook, Other OS, macos 10.12.1

Posted on Dec 1, 2016 10:31 AM

8 replies

Oct 10, 2017 11:00 PM in response to Deadlifts

I did it with a somewhat horrible hack but I had no time to figure out a better solution, because even launchd does not seem to work on PowerChime anymore (some other agent relaunches it whenever the macbook is plugged in).

First, I disabled SIP by booting in recovery mode and typing "csrutil disable" in the terminal. Then I rebooted and edited /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.powerchime.plist by deleting the audio file name between the two "string" tags, so that PowerChime can't find the sound it wants to play. Finally, I reenabled SIP.

Oct 28, 2017 2:20 AM in response to AstralCar

That isn't a horrible option, what I did is I opened the package in said string, (/System/Library/CoreServices/PowerChime.app/Contents/MacOS/PowerChime), navigated to /Resources/connect_power.aif and I copied that file and edited it so it blank, then replaces it with SIP off. I didn't want to remove the whole string as I thought it could possibly lead to some unintended side effects.

Macbook 12-in — how to disable the charging sound?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.