Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High CPU and battery drain in Sierra for CalendarAgent, and CalNCService

Since upgrading to Sierra (from Yosemite) I've been plagued with high CPU usage by these two processes. They seem to be on a schedule, so my battery life is only a few hours and overall CPU utilization in Activity Monitor looks like this:

User uploaded file

I've tried everything I could find to alleviate this problem. I've turned off calendar syncing from every account (I have both iCloud and Google). I turned off notifications and removed all widgets for everything. I deleted the calendar cache, and even the entire calendars directory (~/Library/Calendars). I've looked in the console app for bad logs related to these processes and find no errors (but lots of normal looking activity).

Reboots do not help.

If I remove calendar sync for all accounts, boot to safe mode, reboot to regular mode again, then the CPU drops for a while. Even if I add back an account for syncing, it does the initial sync and then CPU drops and is stead with low utilization. But then after a while (a few hours) I notice the high CPU again.

At this point I have only iCloud calendars syncing, not Google. So I know that's not the root cause.

One final note, I did "upgrade" my iCloud notes when prompted to the newer notes after upgrading to Sierra. It feels like that was the point I noticed the problem, but I can't be sure it wasn't already happening as that was pretty soon after the Sierra upgrade.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Dec 2, 2016 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2017 6:04 AM

Ok, I have as close to a permanent solution as possible. The issue seems to be caused by some trigger I have not yet identified, but it might have something to do with a combination of connecting/disconnecting an external monitor and going into sleep mode. The less often I do those things, the fewer times this issue returns.

To resolve the problem when it happens, I have to de-select "contacts" from both of my google accounts. Then wait for the CPU to settle down to near-zero. Then I can re-select both accounts. That jumps the CPU for a few minutes while it synchronizes, but after that it's steady and low until the next time the issue returns.

At this point I'm performing this process less than once per week, so it's tolerable. Still, it would be nice if Apple would figure this out and get it resolved. But with the few number of views and replies on this thread, I suspect it's totally unknown to them.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2017 6:04 AM in response to V8Fun

Ok, I have as close to a permanent solution as possible. The issue seems to be caused by some trigger I have not yet identified, but it might have something to do with a combination of connecting/disconnecting an external monitor and going into sleep mode. The less often I do those things, the fewer times this issue returns.

To resolve the problem when it happens, I have to de-select "contacts" from both of my google accounts. Then wait for the CPU to settle down to near-zero. Then I can re-select both accounts. That jumps the CPU for a few minutes while it synchronizes, but after that it's steady and low until the next time the issue returns.

At this point I'm performing this process less than once per week, so it's tolerable. Still, it would be nice if Apple would figure this out and get it resolved. But with the few number of views and replies on this thread, I suspect it's totally unknown to them.

Jan 11, 2017 8:41 PM in response to V8Fun

I found a solution that worked for me!

Via: https://robert.accettura.com/blog/2012/08/19/how-to-stop-calendaragent-from-eati ng-cpu/

CalendarAgent is essentially Calendar’s backend (that’s how it’s also able to power the notification center). The best resolution I’ve found is to completely clear out the calendar and recreate it. Process I used was as follows:

1. Remove the Calendar from “Mail, Contacts & Calendars” pref panel (just uncheck from the account). Then go into Calendar and make sure the account is removed. If it’s not, remove it.
  2. Delete ~/Library/Calendars/
  3. Delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iCal.plist
  4. Go back into the “Mail, Contacts & Calendars” pref panel, put the calendar back. Give it some time to download.

Mar 28, 2017 6:10 AM in response to V8Fun

This problem happens continuously back to 2012.

How is that possible that it is STILL not fixed? Even after thousands of user's reports?

I was tired of "svchost.exe" eating 100% CPU on Windows, switched to macOS and now story goes again. Where is famous Apple quality?

Developer of CalNCService should be fired immediately.

Jun 8, 2017 6:48 AM in response to V8Fun

I'm using a MBP mid-2015 with MacOs Sierra 10.12.5. I was scratching my head trying to find solutions and finally found it.

Issue: CalNCService is running high on CPU around 100%. Temperature rises and fan speed increases. Temperature from 48ºC-61ºC

I've tried removing google and iCloud calender, contacts and all. But the problem came back. I did a check one by one by deselecting contacts, then later reminders and so on while checking activity monitor. Found that "Reminders" was the culprit.

Solution: Delete everything from Reminders, and type it out again. CalNCService drops right away after removing list of reminders. I haven't tried exporting and re-importing. Temperature after fix is around 39ºC-42ºC

Problem solved for me.

All the best and thank you!

Jun 14, 2017 9:57 PM in response to ksgncollier

I wonder how many new macs were sold because of the high CPU utilization from this problem?

I disabled all the mail, contact, and calendar sync from the system preferences/internet accounts list of accounts... and it seems better, but its only been 30 min so far

So go ahead and use your fancy mac, just don't expect it to sync with any internet accounts - LOL

Jul 31, 2017 10:51 AM in response to V8Fun

Thanks for this thread - very useful!

I've tried various combos of the suggestions on this thread, but the one that works for me (I use google calendar, and sync everything to that) is to just disable the calendar sync for google. Hey presto bingo, cpu back to normal. You can see that happen immediately you check / uncheck the tick box so it's definitely the cause for me.

Can't believe apple have let this run for so long, but there you go... Hopefully my MBP battery will start behaving now!

Aug 28, 2017 5:25 AM in response to V8Fun

I found suitable for me solution, that stabilizes CPU usage from CalNCService to normal (practically near zero %).

First, I disable all notifications for Reminders - without any effect.

Then I deselect Reminders in my iCloud account (Settings-Internet accounts-iCloud-Reminders) and CalNCService immediately drop to 0%, so I became sure that the problem is with my Reminders app or content.

I check my Reminders content and found that I have more than 2000 already completed to-do's in different folders, so I made the backup (export all tasks to disk) and delete all completed tasks in each folder.

After that re-enable all notifications for Reminders.

As an additional step, I disable Reminders on my iPhone, delete them from the phone and then re-enable - to be sure I have no old completed tasks on the phone.

After about half-hour (I think, re-syncing with iCloud) CPU usage for CalNCService became 0% and stay stable near zero for last 3 hours. I hope, forever 🙂

May be this will help you as well.

(MBP mid-2017, macOS Sierra)

Dec 7, 2016 3:45 PM in response to V8Fun

Update:

I have disabled syncing from everything but mail from my 2 accounts (one Gmail, one Yahoo), and Find-My-Mac, and then rebooted to safe mode and then back to normal mode, and now CPU is steady and low. I did not clear out the cache for calendar, contacts, or anything else (which means it didn't need to do a full sync when I re-enabled).

Then, one by one, I added back each account that needs to sync. The list is as follows:

• iCloud - Reminders
  • iCloud - Safari (which raised CPU for a while, but then it dropped again)
  • iCloud - Notes
  • iCloud - Calendar
  • Gmail Account 1 - Contacts
  • Gmail Account 2 - Contacts

After doing all of this and monitoring CPU at each step, I have now finished out the day (5-6 hours) with steady and low CPU usage.

I think I had this result once before... and the next day the CPU was high again. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my MBP going to sleep and then waking up. I'm on it all day, so it never sleeps, but in the evenings I walk away and off to bed it goes. We will see tomorrow what happens, but maybe if standby mode has something to do with it I could automate a reset script to do all this when it wakes up, or maybe even get Apple to identify and fix the issue. I'll know more tomorrow.

High CPU and battery drain in Sierra for CalendarAgent, and CalNCService

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.