Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen distortion issue with new Macbook Pro model A1708

Hello,

I have a brand new 13" Macbook Pro (model A1708 without the TouchBar). I'm very happy with the system except for one problem. Whenever I wake the system from sleep, the login screen is distorted (see picture below). Once I login then the screen returns to normal. I've tested a few things and determined that this only happens when I'm using a scaled resolution (since I prefer 1280x800 over the default resolution). If I switch back to using the default resolution then the distortion doesn't happen at all.

My question is - should I bring the laptop in for service, exchange it, or not worry about it? In my opinion it's a software/driver issue since it only happens when using a scaled resolution.. so I'm hoping that a future OS X update will fix it (as I'm assuming I'm not the only one experiencing this issue). But if it's a more serious problem, I'd want to fix or exchange it while it's still under warranty. So I appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Thanks!

Here's a picture of the distortion:

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.1), A1708

Posted on Dec 2, 2016 1:48 PM

18 replies

Jan 27, 2017 11:36 AM in response to JPL007

This has been happening to me too! I have the Macbook pro 2016 w/ no touch bar. It's actually my second laptop. I initially bought the 2015 macbook pro and the flickering was happening so I returned it and they gave me the new macbook pro 2016, and its been about a month and now the same problem is happening. It's so frustrating because I have to watch videos and stuff for my classes and this issue occurs when I'm watching videos.

Jan 27, 2017 3:13 PM in response to JPL007

This looks like rendering issue (hardware) but try to do the diagnostic test by holding down the D key during boot.

I don't have access to my mbp now but I can look at this tomorrow.

So you have chosen the lower resolution then default?

I have tried the higher one before and then I did not have any issue, but I have not tried the lower one.

Dec 2, 2016 1:54 PM in response to JPL007

Ok thanks, I didn't know it's only 14 days for a refund or exchange. I will take it back to the Apple store this weekend then. I got it last week so I'm still under the 14 days. I think I'd prefer a 15" MacBook anyway so if it's defective then I'll use that as an opportunity to upgrade to 15".

Dec 2, 2016 2:41 PM in response to JPL007

Darn, I just realized that the new 15" models are only available with a TouchBar (I'm not a fan of the TouchBar). I also prefer the older style keyboards as well.. even after a week of heavy use on my new but defective 13" MacBook Pro I still don't like the feel of the new "butterfly" keyboard. So, I'll probably just exchange it with the older 15" "Silver" model.. I'm VERY happy that the Silver model is still available!

Dec 2, 2016 10:08 PM in response to steve.frost

Ok thanks for the info. I went to the Apple Store and they said it was a faulty screen so I was able to exchange it on the spot for a new 15" MacBook Pro "Silver" 2015 model. I'm much happier with the larger screen and the "regular" older style keyboard. In fact, I forgot how much I preferred the older style keyboard until I started using it again (I'm typing this comment with it right now). I liked the updated "style" of the new MBP but in hindsight I really didn't like the butterfly keyboard. Personally, I think the butterfly keyboards should be in the MacBook Airs and not in the MacBook Pros (because the butterfly keyboard is so thin there was much less "feedback" in the keys and the keys also felt very "slippery" and therefore my typing performance really suffered). Anyway, I'm much happier now with the 15" Silver. Cheers.

Dec 7, 2016 4:32 PM in response to spinneret

@spinneret - I actually exchanged my 13" 2016 MacBook Pro (that had the graphics issue) for the 15" 2015 MacBook Pro (so the older model that Apple is still selling).. so I no longer have the issue. However, according to this article the graphics issue with the new MBPs could be with OS X and not the hardware so I'd say that's good news: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/12/07/macbook-pro-graphics-issues-email/

Screen distortion issue with new Macbook Pro model A1708

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.