Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enable Hyper-V on MacBook Pro Late 2016 makes bootcamp unusable

I am running Windows 10 Pro in BootCamp on the new MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) with touchbar.

When I go to add/remove Windows feature and enable Hyper-V the installation completes successfully.

However after the restart to enable the feature the system is unusable. The restart takes several minutes rather than the usual 30 seconds and Windows is unresponsive once it reaches the Windows login screen

Disabling the Hyper-V feature after booting into Windows recovery returns the system to normal

Is there some other trick to getting this going or is the MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) with touchbar not truly Windows compatible?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), Windows 10

Posted on Dec 2, 2016 4:10 PM

34 replies

Mar 21, 2017 6:34 PM in response to kurtbaby

"So far, the only way we can even get into Safe mode with the TouchBar is a perfectly timed (with loads of trial and error) Command-R a split second after selecting Windows from the boot option, and we only get that to work 1 out of 50 tries."

You may already know this solution by now, however, when the Windows logo comes up press and hold the power button until the MacBook Pro turns off. Repeat this step 3 times and the Automatic Repair/Recovery Mode will start (at which point you can select Safe Boot Mode under Advanced Options. (Note - occasionally we had to repeat the power off cycle 5-6 times in order for this mode to start.)

Apr 4, 2017 9:32 AM in response to ozziepeeps1982

Hi everyone.

I've got Hyper-V working reliably under Windows 10 installed via Bootcamp on a 2016 MBP without TouchBar. The steps are relatively advanced, but were easy to follow and most people on this thread should be comfortable. You install and EFI boot manager called rEFInd (it's the "modern" successor to a tool I used to use on my old MacBook Air called rEFIt). By tinkering with rEFInd's configuration you can get it to EFI-boot Windows with the hypervisor enabled.

Follow the instructions here, CAREFULLY: http://nuts4.net/post/hack-force-vt-x-to-be-always-on-when-booting-to-windows-on -your-macbook

I also followed the steps in this article about enabling "legacy safe mode" for Windows 10 (allowing me to press the F8 key during boot if anything goes wrong): https://medium.com/@naokisatoname/newer-mac-windows-10-on-boot-camp-hyper-v-enab led-infinite-spinning-circle-5631b36f6d1…

The net result is a clean install of W10 via Bootcamp, with working Hyper-V. I need to use rEFInd as my boot manager to EFI-boot Windows, but that's totally fine in my book.

I hope this helps people. I intend to cross post this solution on the other linked threads to get the word out there.

Regards,

Mark

Jul 4, 2017 7:58 AM in response to GBMini

Just sharing what I have been doing the last year.

I have a Macbook Pro, probably 2015 (I don't know exactly, because I don't use Mac Osx for a while..), without touch bar.

Everytime that I need to run an emulator, or VM I usually:

1. Turn of the computer.

2. Turn on while pressing COMMAND + OPTION + P + R (reset nvram)

3. You will hear the first chime, keep PRESSING.

4. You will hear the second chime, after that just keep pressing OPTION.

5. Select windows to boot, and thats it.

Windows will boot on EFI or whatever.. but my virtual machine works! 😉

Dec 2, 2016 5:30 PM in response to GBMini

Btw.. According to the MS "systeminfo" command it should work, all the required things at the processor level are enabled:

Here is a dump from the relevant section :

Hyper-V Requirements: VM Monitor Mode Extensions: Yes
Virtualization Enabled In Firmware: Yes
Second Level Address Translation: Yes
Data Execution Prevention Available: Yes

So assuming is something crappy in the new Macbook Pro firmware causing this.

Dec 2, 2016 5:33 PM in response to GBMini

Your Mac does not support CSM-BIOS. All Macs after Late 2013 are UEFI Macs. On Macs, CSM-BIOS is required for Hyper-V.

GBMini wrote:

That's a really unhelpful answer. Where is that documented?

Unhelpful, or one that you did not want. 😉.

Have you seen any documentation on a Mac where it is officially supported? Please also see Re: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE after enabling Hyper-V in Windows 10 on Late-2015 27" 5k iMac .

Dec 2, 2016 5:37 PM in response to GBMini

GBMini wrote:

Btw.. According to the MS "systeminfo" command it should work, all the required things at the processor level are enabled:

Here is a dump from the relevant section :

Hyper-V Requirements: VM Monitor Mode Extensions: Yes
Virtualization Enabled In Firmware: Yes
Second Level Address Translation: Yes
Data Execution Prevention Available: Yes

So assuming is something crappy in the new Macbook Pro firmware causing this.

Your own testing is telling you that it does not work, correct?

These are registry settings from a 2012 MBP. Notice the installation mode, and Hyper-V does work on my 2012 MBP.

User uploaded file

Dec 2, 2016 5:45 PM in response to Loner T

> Your own testing is telling you that it does not work, correct?

True but that was the whole point of asking the question

> Unhelpful, or one that you did not want. 😉

I wanted more that a blanket statement saying it does not work. You have provided more detail so thank you 🙂

> All Macs after Late 2013 are UEFI Macs. On Macs, CSM-BIOS is required for Hyper-V.

I have it working on a early 2015 Macbook Pro 13" so this isn't 100% correct. I raise a support case but suspect as you've highlighted it probably won't be officially supported... So much for Windows compatible

Dec 2, 2016 10:25 PM in response to GBMini

I'm having exactly the same issue. Searching through the forum seems to indicate Apple deprecated essential BIOS feature that is necessary to support Hyper-V on all latest Mac models. This is most disappointing. I purchased the new MBP for Visual Studio development, specifically for cross platform app using Xamarin. Missing Hyper-V support essentially means I cannot run emulators within Visual Studio, which is more than little inconvenience.

Enable Hyper-V on MacBook Pro Late 2016 makes bootcamp unusable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.