Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage not working from phone number

I recently turned off iMessage on my iPhone 7 and when I wanted to turn it back on, I got the 'Waiting for activation' message, which is constantly there. My phone number shows up in the 'you can be reached by etc.' menu, however it has a spinning wheel next to it. iMessages work only from my apple ID email address but not from the phone number. I also do not have the 'start conversation from' option in iMessages. All this applies to FaceTime on my iPhone as well.

I have tried every fix known to man, researched everything... in the end even did a restore, erase all content and setting, and the problem persists. I changed my apple ID password a few months ago, however since then activated iMessages successfully when I switched from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 7, so I do not think that was an issue. However, I have now changed my apple ID password again and then signed out and signed in to all devices, apps, etc. and the problem is still there. When I log in to manage apple id, the phone number is there, however I cannot do anything to it (change, delete, etc.).

As mentioned, I already tried all the usual fixes, toggle iMessages on and off, sign out and sign in to apple id, turn on airplane mode, reset network settings, reset location settings... absolutely everything I found in various forums.

Does anyone have any idea on what else I could try? Perhaps get a new sim card with the same phone number (although cannot see what good that might to?)

Appreciate your thoughts... thanks

iPhone 7, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Dec 4, 2016 10:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2016 7:40 AM

Hello jelena1603,

Thanks for asking about adding your phone number to Messages here in the Apple Support Communities.

There are two articles that discuss things to try if you are experiencing issues with this. They are:

1. If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime

2. Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime

If you still need help, change your Apple ID password using this article: Change your Apple ID password , then and repeat the setup steps. If that doesn't work, contact Apple Support using this link: Contact Apple Support .

Thanks again and have a great rest of your day.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2016 7:40 AM in response to jelena1603

Hello jelena1603,

Thanks for asking about adding your phone number to Messages here in the Apple Support Communities.

There are two articles that discuss things to try if you are experiencing issues with this. They are:

1. If you get an error when trying to activate iMessage or FaceTime

2. Add or remove your phone number in Messages or FaceTime

If you still need help, change your Apple ID password using this article: Change your Apple ID password , then and repeat the setup steps. If that doesn't work, contact Apple Support using this link: Contact Apple Support .

Thanks again and have a great rest of your day.

iMessage not working from phone number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.