Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Sierra claims all DMG files I download are damaged

Any time I try to mount a DMG file (by double-clicking on it in Finder) I get the following error message:

"<filename>.dmg is damaged and can’t be opened. You should eject the disk."

If I use File / Open Disk Image in Disk Utility or the third-party app DropDMG to mount the .DMG file then it works just fine, and I can access the contents of the disk image.

So, why is there a problem in Finder? Has anyone else had this problem? It's very irritating.

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.2), N/A

Posted on Dec 5, 2016 3:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2016 3:29 PM

That's correct. There are a couple of plausible explanations. Either the downloads are becoming corrupted by something (ill-conceived "cleaning" and / or "anti-virus" junk comes to mind), or macOS has been corrupted, likely by the same causes. Fix them by uninstalling such things, and reinstalling macOS, respectively.

It's also possible if your Mac's date and time are not correct, leading to signed applications not installing correctly. Fix that using System Preferences > Date & Time.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2016 3:29 PM in response to Meglos

That's correct. There are a couple of plausible explanations. Either the downloads are becoming corrupted by something (ill-conceived "cleaning" and / or "anti-virus" junk comes to mind), or macOS has been corrupted, likely by the same causes. Fix them by uninstalling such things, and reinstalling macOS, respectively.

It's also possible if your Mac's date and time are not correct, leading to signed applications not installing correctly. Fix that using System Preferences > Date & Time.

Dec 5, 2016 2:00 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have reinstalled macOS, and that hasn't helped unfortunately (I downloaded a new DMG to make sure, that it wasn't just existing ones - before I did the reinstall - that were affected)

My Mac's date and time are correct, and being synced automagically with Apple's time server.

Dec 5, 2016 3:28 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for the suggestion John.

I think I have found where the conflict is. I run a piece of software called BoxCryptor on my download folder where the DMG files are held. WHen I move the DMG files out of that folder they run properly.

I discovered this after booting in Safe mode (which, can I say, isn't the easiest thing to do with a wireless keyboard - would be great if Apple gave you an earlier visual clue that Safe mode had been entered)

I run BoxCryptor on my MacBook too, but the problem doesn't seem to be occuring there. Anyway, I'm comfortable that BoxCryptor is causing the issue so I'll be in touch with its developer.

Thanks again.

macOS Sierra claims all DMG files I download are damaged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.