Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Warrior. Still recommended?

This past weekend I finally broke down and upgraded from my trusty late 2006 iMac running OS X Lion to a brand new one with El Capitan and upgraded to Sierra.

Back when I started out with the old iMac, Disk Warrior came highly recommended by the support community. It looks like the old version will not take care of the new unit, and it is a $60 touch to upgrade.

What is the general consensus these days regarding Disk Warrior? Still a must-have for maintenance?

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Dec 5, 2016 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2017 4:26 PM

Some people feel DiskWarrior is no longer needed or usedful. I disagree. While Apple's OS X has become much better over time at maintaining itself and Disk First Aid is better now, there are definitely still occasions when the only tool that seems capable of repairing deep directory level issues is DiskWarrior. In addition, it has never once caused a problem for me in the last 20+ years of using it. And, compared to many other "repair" utility apps, DiskWarrior seems better at what it does than any other competitor.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2017 4:26 PM in response to Fendertwin

Some people feel DiskWarrior is no longer needed or usedful. I disagree. While Apple's OS X has become much better over time at maintaining itself and Disk First Aid is better now, there are definitely still occasions when the only tool that seems capable of repairing deep directory level issues is DiskWarrior. In addition, it has never once caused a problem for me in the last 20+ years of using it. And, compared to many other "repair" utility apps, DiskWarrior seems better at what it does than any other competitor.

Dec 6, 2016 5:04 AM in response to Fendertwin

Disk Warrior these days is generally not required or needed as

Apple's Disk Utility can repair most all issues. There are rare

occasions where Disk Utility won't work, and most of those times

neither will Disk Warrior.

FWIW, these days there is no need for any type of "maintenance utility"

and most of them usually end up killing performance or even worse corrupting

the system.

Save your money and buy a game or two.

Disk Warrior. Still recommended?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.