Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iTunes Gift Card for in-app purchases

Here is my scenario. I have a credit card attached to my Apple account. I use it mainly to purchase hulu subscription and in case I need to pay for an app. I am now playing a game that I would like to purchase some items in-app, but I DO NOT want to use my credit card that is attached to my apple account. If I purchased an itunes card and added it to my itunes balance. Can I choose to use that when I make the in-app purchase? Or will it just default to using my credit card?

iPhone 6, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Dec 6, 2016 8:00 AM

4 replies

May 11, 2017 11:17 PM in response to Salmon Dogg

How items are paid for is automatic. Have you gone through with the IAP purchase ? Though you may be being asked to confirm, or correct, your card's details it doesn't necessarily mean that the card will be charged (except for a temporary store holding charge) - confirming the card's details is a way of checking that it's your account. If it does charge the card contact iTunes Support

May 11, 2017 3:02 PM in response to Jonathan UK

That article didn't help, I have same problem/question. There is a free app: trip view (train timetables) lite but I want to upgrade to full version. It costs 4.95 or something and I have $50 of iTunes credit in my account. But every time I try to purchase the full version it takes me to credit card payment. I want to pay the 4.95 in my current iTunes balance instead. HELP

Sep 21, 2017 7:22 AM in response to valkyrielakes

If you use a gift card for a transaction, the amount is deducted at the time of your transaction.

When you make a purchase, content credits are used first, as long as the value of the item that you're buying is less than or equal to the value of the credits. Any gift cards are used next. If your gift card is less than the total cost of the purchase, the payment method that you have on file is billed for the remaining balance.

If you have no content credits or gift cards, the payment method that you have on file is charged for the entire purchase.

When you gift an item to someone else, no credits are used. The payment method that you have on file is billed for the entire purchase.

Using iTunes Gift Card for in-app purchases

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.