Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install Apple Mobile Device USB driver

Symptom: although the device manager recognizes my iphone 5 with ios 10.1.1, Windows 10, it is not seen in most recent itunes, nor will it charge except during boot up, prior to windows loading. Shows in device manager with yellow triangle.

Using the device manager, I drilled down until I got to the folder containing the mobile device driver, when I attempted to install it, I received the following error message:

This operations requires an interactive window station.

Please advise.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Dec 6, 2016 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2017 12:04 PM

This is how I fixed my issue.

1. Plug your phone into your computer.

2. Open Device Manager and find your iPhone. You should see it under "Other Devices".

3. Right-click on iPhone and select Uninstall.

4. Unplug your phone, and then plug it back in. The driver will now reinstall, which should fix any issues you're having.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2017 12:04 PM in response to jkoerner

This is how I fixed my issue.

1. Plug your phone into your computer.

2. Open Device Manager and find your iPhone. You should see it under "Other Devices".

3. Right-click on iPhone and select Uninstall.

4. Unplug your phone, and then plug it back in. The driver will now reinstall, which should fix any issues you're having.

Dec 7, 2016 2:44 PM in response to jkoerner

Hi, jkoerner.

I see that you're having problems getting your iTunes on your Windows 10 PC and your iPhone 5 to work together. Great job in finding the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver, but I see it's showing with a yellow caution. I'll be glad to help you get iTunes to recognize your iPhone 5.​
If iTunes doesn‘t recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod. -- Here are all of the steps to get iTunes to see your iPhone. But since you've gotten farther, here is what is specific to your situation:

You see an exclamation point or question mark

If you see User uploaded file or User uploaded file by the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver, right-click the entry, then manually update the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver.

Don't forget to restart your PC after the driver has been installed. Let me know how that goes.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities!

Dec 7, 2016 5:33 PM in response to sterling r

Thanks for your prompt reply. Now, more questions:

User uploaded file

This may be a wee bit more global that it appeared at first blush. As you can see here, Windows isn't seeing the phone at all, and there is no power going from the USB to the phone. It's a tested USB port, and the phone has no problem with my laptop [including itunes] which, unlike the workstation running win 64, runs win 32.

User uploaded file

Here, in the program (86)/common folder, where I was suppose to find the driver folder, there is none.

User uploaded file

Here, in the program/common files folders, I have found the elusive usaapl64 [not sure which is the right one] but when I select the driver folder to install it, I get the dreaded interactive window station needed message.

Where have I gone adrift?

Josh

Dec 8, 2016 7:48 AM in response to jkoerner

Thanks for trying that for us, jkoerner. We have another process for you to use, though.​
Remove and reinstall iTunes and related software components for Windows 7 and later

Remove iTunes and its related components from the Control Panel

Use the Control Panel to uninstall iTunes and related software components in the following order:

1. iTunes
  2. Apple Software Update
  3. Apple Mobile Device Support
  4. Bonjour
  5. Apple Application Support 32-bit
  6. Apple Application Support 64-bit

On some systems, iTunes might install two versions of Apple Application Support. This is expected. If both are present, be sure to uninstall both versions.

Don't uninstall these components in a different order, or only uninstall some of them. Doing so might have unintended effects. After you uninstall a component, you might be prompted to restart your computer. Wait to restart your computer until you're finished removing all of the components.

After you've completely removed iTunes, restart your PC. Once your PC has restarted, Reinstall iTunes and restart once more.

Reinstall iTunes and related components

1. After you make sure that iTunes is completely uninstalled, restart your computer (if you haven't already).
  2. Then download and install the latest version of iTunes for your PC.
  3. If the issue persists, look for more information on the iTunes Support page, including help with specific messages.

Let us know how that goes and take care!

Cannot install Apple Mobile Device USB driver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.