Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I erase my device will Activation Lock be reset?

My iPhone 7 was recently lost. I put it on lost mode, secured it with a new passcode, suspended my data service and changed my Apple ID. I also changed my passwords on my frequently used apps and social media accounts. I don't think I'll ever get the phone back but I also don't want to make it easy for anyone to use or sell it. If I erase the iPhone, will Activation Lock remain or will it revert to factory settings?

iPhone 7

Posted on Dec 6, 2016 10:54 AM

10 replies

Dec 6, 2016 11:27 AM in response to LACAllen

Thanks, Kappy and LACAllen. I should have asked whether I can erase the phone without removing it from my account and still keep it on activation lock. Kappy's answer seems to say no but I've read conflicting information on this. I've read that the phone will forever be tied to my iCloud passwords even if it is erased. I'd feel better if my data were erased from the phone, but I want to keep it on activation lock. Hope this makes sense.

Dec 6, 2016 11:07 AM in response to leonarde

If I erase the iPhone, will Activation Lock remain or will it revert to factory settings?

If you both erase the phone and remove it from your account, the activation lock is removed and the device will be usable by someone else.

If you have a passcode on it, or it's in Lost Mode, your data is safe and the device will never be re-useable.

Dec 6, 2016 11:31 AM in response to leonarde

Lost Mode gets you this.

The device is forever locked with a passcode. If someone finds the device, they can restore in iTunes to remove the passcode lock, but this both erases your data and leaves the activation lock in place.

So, a passcode in place "effectively" erases the device. Unless your passcode is easily guessed, your data is there but inaccessible. To remove the passcode removes the data.

Dec 6, 2016 12:02 PM in response to LACAllen

Ok, just so I have this right: if someone guesses my passcode or removes the passcode through iTunes, it erases my data. But the activation lock is still in place. In this scenario, does that mean the phone would still be tied to my iCloud account and no one can start using the phone without my iCloud ID and password?

Apologies if I'm being dense. I just want to understand the whole activation code thing, whether it will prevent anyone from using the phone as if it were new even if the passcode and data are erased.

Dec 6, 2016 1:57 PM in response to leonarde

No. If they guess your passcode, they get in to your phone and your data. that's what the passcode does. Prevents access to your device.

Once in, they can't turn off Find My Phone, which turns off activation lock, unless they can determine your Apple ID's password.

So, the activation stays in place unless they find the password to the Apple ID signed in to iCloud.

Dec 7, 2016 10:39 AM in response to LACAllen

Thank you LACAllen. I think this answers my question, although I'm not sure which question your "No" is in reply to. Though you didn't specifically say so, I think the phone would still be tied to my iCloud account even if the passcode is removed and the data erased. I.e., as long as the phone is in lost mode and the activation lock is in place, it's still in my account and the phone is useless to anyone who finds it.

I think this is no longer a hypothetical situation. I left my husband's phone number on the Lost My iPhone screen and he suddenly started getting suspicious looking texts from "Apple Support" saying my phone was found at such and such address. All the other location info to date has been sent to my email, not the contact phone number, and it has been from Lost My iPhone, not Apple Support. The last text had the Apple logo in it and asked me to sign in with my Apple ID. So it seems someone has already broken thru the passcode and now needs to sign in to iCloud in order to use the phone.

Dec 7, 2016 2:20 PM in response to leonarde

My no was to anyone getting in to your phone without the pass code.

All those messages are bogus. Do not reply.

They have your device and know whatever you put on the lost mode message.

They are phishing you for your Apple ID and password by saying they are Apple.

They are not. Apple does not find phones and return them to you.

Consider the device gone but your data safe.

If I erase my device will Activation Lock be reset?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.