Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to edit or change genre in iTunes 12

I asked this question along with a different question and the first question got dressed and this one seemed to fall through the cracks. So I decided to start a new conversation so this topic might get some help.

I have some music that itunes has set the genre as something it isn't, such a pop instead of Blues. I want to learn how to edit/change the genre for the album. I have chosen artist or album in the sidebar, and then an album and go to 'get info' in the link that is available via the blue circle with 3 white dots on the far right. I scroll to 'get info' and click on the genre box and click on the correct genre and click ok. However, it doesn't keep the change, the original ill named genre stays active. So I am not able to actually use my playlists as they are not pulling the appropriate albums.

What is the best way to change a genre of a song/album in iTunes 12?

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Dec 6, 2016 4:09 PM

3 replies

Dec 6, 2016 4:52 PM in response to BellaMichelle

BellaMichelle, I'm not sure there is a best way, but try this: When you open the Get Info window, instead of selecting the genre from the pulldown menu, type the first couple of letters into the box -- for instance, "b l" -- and let the software autocomplete "Blues" (or whatever). For some reason, this seems to help make the tag "stick," in my experience.

If this does not work ... are you using iTunes Match? I've been trying to straighten out some genre tags for weeks now, only to have iTunes Match change them back again, usually after a day or so. If I sign out, the problem goes away -- only to recur when I sign in again. I feel your frustration.

Dec 7, 2016 7:17 AM in response to richard grant

Hello Richard,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am not using Match.

I will try your suggestion with the 'autofill' and see if that helps.

I do not find itunes to be as intuitive and easy to use as it was not that long ago. I miss where the songs and/or albums showed in a list and you could see the content across the columns in one place. So I am appreciative of your time and suggestions.

Have a good day!

Dec 7, 2016 5:47 PM in response to BellaMichelle

You can get most of the old interface back. Setting your library to "Songs" should give you the old-style column display, and you can add or rearrange columns by clicking, control-clicking and/or dragging on the column headers. In other views -- within playlists, for example -- you can choose View > View As > Songs, which should achieve the same effect. (This also seems to make the software run faster when performing tasks like editing tags.)

Cheers

how to edit or change genre in iTunes 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.