Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac can access windows shares but windows CANT access Mac

I'm trying to network Windows 7 and Mac osX El Capitan. I have file sharing set up correctly on both machines. From the Mac I can connect to the Windows just fine without any problems. However from the Windows PC, I can "see" the mac in the network window, but when I try to connect, it asks me for a username and password. No matter what name/pass I enter it denies me access. I have even created a temp user on the mac to try to connect using that login but to no avail. Both computers are on the same workgroup, Google searches suggest just turning file sharing off then back on again, but no difference. How can I connect my PC to my Mac?

Posted on Dec 7, 2016 11:45 AM

5 replies

Sep 10, 2017 4:17 PM in response to JBuratti

I know this is an old post, but i am having a similar problem. Mac connects to my mac server with no problem, but my windows 7 pc was working, but when i did what this article said, (OS X Server: How to connect to VPN service from Windows - Apple Support) my win 7 machine no longer connects to my mac server. I only did the steps to enable my windows 7 machine to connect to my macs VPN connection. now VPN works, but i cannot access my mac!!!

Dec 8, 2016 8:08 AM in response to JBuratti

On the PC, open a Command Prompt window and type the following command

net use \\Mac_IP_addr /user:macuser

type in the macuser's password when requested.

Mac_IP_addr is the Macintosh IP address

macuser is the user you enabled under System Preferences -> Sharing -> File sharing -> Options - Windows File Sharing

If you don't get any error the PC is authenticated on the Mac. Now issue

net view \\Mac_IP_addr

you should see a list of shared folders

Mac can access windows shares but windows CANT access Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.