Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

show date in screensaver mac os photos

I use my Photo library as screensaver. It would be nice to have the date of photo displayed with the photo.

There seems to have been a way to do it using iPhoto using batch changing Title to date. I cannot find any

method to do in the Photos app. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Dec 7, 2016 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2016 12:36 PM

Make sure: Show with clock is selected at the bottom of the System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver > Screen Saver pane.

2 replies

Dec 8, 2016 12:43 AM in response to jleahy667

Perhaps Carolyn misunderstood your question? You want to show the date a photo has been taken, not the current date and time, right? Carolyn's solution will ensure that the system time is shown as a clock overlay in the screensaver, very useful. But none of the current screensaver templates will show any metadata of the photos like titles or capture time.

In older versions of MacOS you could enable titles in the options of a screensaver, but this is no longer available since Yosemite.

I am using brute force to show the titles and date on the photos I m using in my screensaver albums.

• I duplicate the photo in Photos with "Image > Duplicate 1 photo". This will create just a second version, but not actually duplicate the original.
  • I add a keyword to the copy "Annotated" or similar, so I can search for it.
  • Then I edit the copy in Photos using the "markup" photos editing extension. It is available in Photos on Sierra. If you did not yet upgrade to Sierra consider to do so. Markup lets you write text and graphics into the photo, just you can do in Mail or Preview.
  • To use "Markup", click Extensions, then "Markup". If it is not visible, click "More" to add it.
  • Now I create a smart album with the rule "Keyword is annotated" and can select the photos with the text captions in the screensaver.

For example - my "Lighthouses Screensaver" is showing all photos with the location and the year, written directly into the photo.

User uploaded file

show date in screensaver mac os photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.