Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow Keychain on 2016 Macbook Pro with Touch Bar

Hello,

With the new Macbook Pro 2016 (Touch Bar) the keychain became very slow.

Any search query or even clicking on show password, will bring up the spinning wheel. Overall everything takes longer, I'm migrating from a Macbook 12".

Is this related to the use of the new chip with secure enclave, is anybody experiencing the same problem?

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Dec 7, 2016 10:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2017 7:11 AM

I had a little more thinking about this. Since I am convinced that this has to do with the new hardware my guess is that the secure enclave is involved in the root of the problem. The secure enclave is used to store the information necessary when using the fingerprint scanner. This is part of the touchbar element which has it's own processor.

So, I tried disabling the Touch ID stuff and guess what - boom, everything works as expected. So, the current workaround is to disable Touch ID.

User uploaded file

Since I use the MBP on an external monitor with a closed lid the Touch ID does not have any value other than gimmick for me and it has troubles reading my fingerprint accurately anyway I don't care too much.

Worst cases Apple can't fix it because the processor used to read out the secure enclave might just be too slow or there is some timeout involved accessing the secure enclave (to save power and reduce heat in that new part of the hardware).

Curious if this fixes it also for you?

134 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2017 7:11 AM in response to Viablub

I had a little more thinking about this. Since I am convinced that this has to do with the new hardware my guess is that the secure enclave is involved in the root of the problem. The secure enclave is used to store the information necessary when using the fingerprint scanner. This is part of the touchbar element which has it's own processor.

So, I tried disabling the Touch ID stuff and guess what - boom, everything works as expected. So, the current workaround is to disable Touch ID.

User uploaded file

Since I use the MBP on an external monitor with a closed lid the Touch ID does not have any value other than gimmick for me and it has troubles reading my fingerprint accurately anyway I don't care too much.

Worst cases Apple can't fix it because the processor used to read out the secure enclave might just be too slow or there is some timeout involved accessing the secure enclave (to save power and reduce heat in that new part of the hardware).

Curious if this fixes it also for you?

Jan 14, 2017 6:15 AM in response to Viablub

Just chiming in to say I've got this issue too. I've done a full reinstall of the OS, and tried across multiple new users. IT seems to only happen if I enable my iCloud Keychain (about 1500 keys), but the same keychain, synced to a 2013 MBP on the same OS version doesn't cause any problems. For what it's worth, I filed radar 30027368. Curious if anyone has a fix.

Jan 31, 2017 3:28 PM in response to Viablub

I'm having this issue too and I've either had this issue before with a previous migration to a new machine or I had something similar. I don't remember how I got it resolved last time around.

Anyway, I've been able to make it better by cleaning out a lot of old keychain entries. There are certain items that keychain seems to have trouble keeping unique and it spawns countless new entries. It's in these groups where I notice the slowest performance so I go in and go on a deletion spree.

Also, one other thing I noticed is that upon migrating to a new machine, Keychain resets the dates for a lot of your items to the date of the migration. I don't know if that makes a difference or not, but it definitely matters in choosing the right password to offer. The most recent entry is the one that's filled in for you.

Feb 7, 2017 1:40 AM in response to Viablub

Same here. I have a MBP 13" and 15" both with TouchBar and since I migrated to the new machines Safari is almost unusable whenever I want to log into a website with a login form. Since I am working in a web app development environment I encounter login forms hundreds of times a day. I'm going crazy that I have to wait 3 seconds every time!

And, I don't really understand how this could slipped into a released product. Don't they test their products in a real-world scenario fast? It took me 1h to find this out.

I guess the problem is the new secure enclave is now involved with the process of accessing the keychain and there must be a major bug or the hardware is too slow.

Feb 7, 2017 4:52 AM in response to Viablub

Same as gnaegi - I'm a web developer and this is driving me crazy.

Had a support call with Apple yesterday as well - they had me test with a new iCloud account with iCloud keychain in a test account on my MacBook Pro - SAME ISSUE - even with a totally blank keychain! So I don't have too much faith that deleting a few old keychain passwords will help. They're checking back with engineers to get next steps - but **** - can't they just walk into an Apple Store, boot up a MacBook Pro Touch Bar - sign into iCloud - and replicate the issue??

Wondering why I shouldn't just start using Chrome.....

Feb 7, 2017 8:01 AM in response to gnaegi

Hm, I was to optimistic. It thought it was better but it seems this was only some kind of caching that made it quicker. The problem is back again, although I think it is a bit improved. In any case, the checkboxes to not use Touch ID sometimes appear back in control panel and and sometimes go away as I open / close Touch ID control panel multiple times. Something is strange there anyway.

Feb 7, 2017 8:52 AM in response to gnaegi

Agh man, you had me hopeful for a moment. I totally disabled Touch ID and deleted my fingerprint - but no luck. At first it seemed better, but it's definitely still lagging (see where below).

DEFINITELY sounds like a secure enclave problem.

Places where the lag is felt:

1. Loading most pages in Safari where a password autofill is required.

2. Safari > Preferences > Passwords tab - after typing your password in, it lags for 3-5 seconds before showing the password list.

3. KeyChain Access > Searching the iCloud Keychain.

4. System Preferences > iCloud. Super laggy when loading this tab, doing anything here.

Feb 20, 2017 3:18 PM in response to Viablub

Still having this issue and it's driving me crazy! Apple Support is not helpful - engineers can't seem to be able to replicate this on their end - which is stupid, as this applies to every MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar.

Out of curiosity, anyone have FileVault enabled - with iCloud unlock Authentication? I do, and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it?

Just so weird how safari / keychain access are so laggy. Not pleased with the speed of the computer overall, either.

Feb 27, 2017 3:43 AM in response to themacgenius

I have File Vault enabled and I'm seeing this issue.

After disabling iCloud and removing all existing entries (not just on a new account but on the original account) I was able to start saving passwords and had no issues. On re-enabling iCloud the issue presented itself again so I'm, going to go through and start deleting entries from the iCloud keychain and see how that goes.

It could just be a bandwidth issue between the enclave and the system...though the same issues doesn't occur on iPhone so I'm holding out hope

Mar 7, 2017 11:18 PM in response to Viablub

No, I have no spare new MBP to install a beta. When I log into bugreport.apple.com it says the issue is still open, so I guess the issue is not solved in the latest beta.

That the issue persists even though you have everything disabled is interesting. My first guess was that this is somewhat hardware related to the new secure enclave that might not be fast enough for permanent querying.

However, I don't understand why Apple is not able to reproduce the problem on their side and has to ask us users to send logs. Does it really happen only on a few MBP? This would make the case even stronger that this is hardware related.

Quite annoying, really. I's unbelievable how such a tiny issue can have such a large impact on my work efficiency, depending on the tasks I am doing on my computer. It sure has a psychological component, nevertheless it drives me nuts!

Slow Keychain on 2016 Macbook Pro with Touch Bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.