You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air keeps freezing.

User uploaded file

Hello everyone,

I hope your're having a good day. It's been almost a month now that my Macbook Air keeps freezing whenever I turn it on after it has been on sleep for like more than 4 hours. I can't click, type my password or do anything else.

Does anyone have any idea how to deal with that?

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.1), null

Posted on Dec 8, 2016 12:57 AM

4 replies

Dec 9, 2016 12:23 PM in response to inristaka

Good morning inristaka,

Welcome to the Support Communities!

I understand your MacBook Air is not waking from sleep properly. I'm a little unclear what you mean by
"... turn it on after it has been asleep." You should be able to tap your mouse or keyboard and see the last window that was showing on your screen when it went to sleep.

What I would suggest is to shut your computer off, and restart it in safe mode. This will reinitialize the computer.

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn‘t finish starting up

Start up in safe mode

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The white Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

Work with the computer in safe mode for a few minutes, then restart the computer normally, without pressing the Shift key.

Put the computer in sleep mode when you are ready, and test again. Here are some additional troubleshooting steps to try if the issue persists:

If your Mac doesn‘t sleep or wake when expected

Take care.​

Dec 13, 2016 10:25 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Hey alex_h1

Thanks for taking the time to help me. I did start the laptop on safe mode then I also did a hardware test but neither solved the issue. If I put my laptop to sleep at night, in the morning when I try to use it it will freeze and I will have to hold the power button so I can turn it off completely.

Do you have any other idea?

Macbook Air keeps freezing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.