Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do i need vpn on iphone 6

since my last softward upgrade I have had problems with Wifi and VPN.

is this a general problem with other Iphone 6 users?

I'm not sure if VPN is the problem and if so if I can just remove it

iPhone 6, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Dec 8, 2016 1:04 PM

6 replies

Dec 8, 2016 1:08 PM in response to barnsley99

Do you need a VPN? No, not unless you need to connect with a secure private network. If you're using a VPN to connect to something else on the Internet... what's the point? The connection is only secure between your machine and the egress point for whatever private network you connected to. The traffic still has to traverse the public internet once it leaves their system going to whatever you're actually trying to get to.

Honestly, encouraging the use of VPN services as a security device for people just using the Internet is ridiculous.

Dec 8, 2016 1:18 PM in response to barnsley99

barnsley99 wrote:

Do I need a VPN...?

No way for us to know. Do you? Do you connect to some corporate or school network that is requiring the VPN?

Otherwise you probably don't.

I have agree with KiltedTim.

Unless you are connecting to a corporate network or something similar through the VPN, using a VPN just because is really not something you need to be doing.

There's no inherent increase in security from using a VPN you don't really know to not using one. The entire point of VPNs, is that you trust the source of the VPN, and what its letting you connect to. Just using a VPN service form the internet to go online is pointless.

Dec 8, 2016 1:27 PM in response to barnsley99

Yes, when you are connecting to public, unsecured networks such as airports, coffee shops, etc. If you connect to secured networks then you don't need one.

Preferably use a VPN that does not log traffic nor required to submit to government demands to provide your information to the government. A US-based VPN can be made to provide your information and their logs to the government. Although there are a number of VPN services that meet extensive concerns for privacy, I can recommend TorGuard. It is available for both OS X and iOS. Most VPN services provide point-to-point full encryption, contrary to KiltedTim's suggestion.

Dec 8, 2016 1:46 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Yes, when you are connecting to public, unsecured networks such as airports, coffee shops, etc. If you connect to secured networks then you don't need one.

I disagree. You have no idea what these public VPNs are doing with the transmitted data. Can you be sure its protected?

How do you know they aren't compromised?

How can you be certain its 100% point to point encryption? Unless you personally know these VPN providers there's no real way to know what you are getting.

Using a VPN you have no idea about is no more secure than connecting directly to a Wifi network.

do i need vpn on iphone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.