Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much space does an iphone backup take?

I was curious how much free space is needed for an iPhone backup made from iTunes? When I try to backup I get an error: "iTunes could not back up the iPhone because there is not enough free space on this computer to save the backup" but I have 95GB free on my PC. I have a 64GB iPhone 6 that has ~50% free space if that makes a difference and I have tried updating to the latest iOS and iTunes versions as well as everything listed here:

If your iTunes backup couldn't be completed or you can't restore from a backup - Apple Support

iPhone 6, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Dec 8, 2016 2:46 PM

5 replies

Dec 8, 2016 2:52 PM in response to vch457

Hi,

95GB's of free storage space isn't really sufficient. Window's runs about 16GB's > https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#sysreqs

Mac about 9GB's.

If an alert says there's not enough disk space

If a message says there’s not enough disk space when you try to back up your device, free some space on your Mac or PC. If you still see a disk-space error after you free enough space, contact Apple Support.

Dec 8, 2016 4:04 PM in response to vch457

An iPhone backup does not include apps and music, and anything synced to iCloud (Settings/iCloud - all the switches that are on) so subtract those from what is on your phone and the rest will be what is in the backup.

You will also get that error if iTunes does not have write privileges in the backup directory. See: About backups in iCloud and iTunes - Apple Support

Dec 12, 2016 3:26 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Attempting to sync my iPhone 5SE running 10.1.1.

This may have been the first time I synced since updating to latest software.

I got error message that iphone couldn’t be backed up because the iphone disconnected.

Did a hard reset on the phone and changed USB ports on my iMac.

Then got message that my computer didn’t have enough space for backup when it has 225GB.

Restarted my computer and tried again only to have the error message say that the backup was corrupt or not compatible with the iphone.

I then opened my user library

Open Finder, holding the option key, select <Library> from the Go menu to get to your user's Library folder.

/Users/your username/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

I renamed the folder <backup> to <oldbackup>

I reconnected my iphone and selected <backup now>

Backup was completed successfully.

I don't think you need to do all the preliminary tasks I attempted.

Go to your user library

Good luck!

User uploaded file

Dec 12, 2016 3:33 PM in response to Hanuman Hoffman

This half solves it 🙂

I went to the equivalent path in windows (c:\users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup) and deleted a 20GB backup folder after which I could backup my phone 1 time. Any subsequent attempts to backup fail unless I delete my previous backup and make sure this directory is empty.

So now the question is why can't I backup a 2nd time without going through all this? I assume it incrementally updates the backup and should need minimal space if nothing has changed on the phone. Maybe a bad assumption?

How much space does an iphone backup take?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.