Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens to my music if I stop my Apple Music subscription?

Hello,

I have a huge collection of music on my Mac in iTunes. Over the years I have ripped my extensive CD collection and also recorded most of the exclusive vinyl releases I own. There's also digital downloads from a variety of sources.

This month I decided to try Apple Music and subscribed. On my iPhone I looked up some of my recent favourite albums and downloaded them to my phone for offline play. So far so good.

Now I've also activated iCloud Music Library in iTunes, this was more out of curiousity than a coordinated plan. I didn't fully realise what was going to happen. Now, two days later, my iTunes collection is "matched" against Apples collection, my iPhone's 128 GB storage is full and in my iTunes my own collection of files is mixed with Apple Music downloads. Some albums show cloud icons, some show dotted cloud icons, some have a cloud overlay on the album art and some have nothing. Others have a variety of cloud related errors. O joy, where to begin?

What happens to my own files if/when I leave Apple Music?

What happens to the Apple Music downloads if/when I leave Apple Music?

What happens with the iCloud Music Library matched files if/when I leave Apple Music?

How do I unravel this mess and keep clear what is mine and what is not?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7), mid 2011 / 27" / 16 GB / 256 GB SSD

Posted on Dec 8, 2016 2:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2016 5:13 PM

When you cancel your Apple Music subscription the music you downloaded will become greyed out and will not play for 30 days. If you re-sign back up during that 30 day period they will become active again. After 30 days they will disappear. The songs that you purchased will not be greyed out and will remain and can be played

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2016 5:13 PM in response to sjogro

When you cancel your Apple Music subscription the music you downloaded will become greyed out and will not play for 30 days. If you re-sign back up during that 30 day period they will become active again. After 30 days they will disappear. The songs that you purchased will not be greyed out and will remain and can be played

Dec 9, 2016 8:23 AM in response to Mobile Blues

That's good news, however it has become an entangled mess. A lot of albums are only partially 'matched', making them appear incomplete. Some items appear in iOS devices with artists "Unknown Artists" that are not appearing in iTunes Library and therefor cannot be removed from iCloud Music Library. I have deleted everything in iTunes to clear and start over from a backup but it keeps syncing this soup of files from out of iCloud Music Library and I cannot seem to clean out completely what's living in the cloud right now.

My iTunes library is now completely empty and I've still got iCloud Music Library on. On my iDivices I've also got iCloud Music Library on, but there the library isn't empty, it keeps re-listing a variety of "Unknown Artist" and other incomplete and mismatched files.

How do I stop this and start over with a blank Library? At this point I would just like to start over and start with a smaller collection to keep more control over what happens.

Dec 9, 2016 8:28 AM in response to sjogro

There is obviously something you missed in canceling your membership. You probably forgot yo turn off iCloud Music Library or something. Follow these instructions to cancel Apple Music Membership on all of your devices. There is no need to start over with a new music library file.

Manage your Apple Music membership on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC, or Apple TV - Apple Support

Dec 9, 2016 9:06 AM in response to sjogro

Everytime I delete everything from the library, it warns me that this will delete everything on other devices as well (Great!) so I click yes, it takes a while, it clears out the library, but later it starts to sync again and everything is back, apparently with a few more errors each time, because the list of Unknown Artist and Unknown Album seems to increase.

User uploaded file

What happens to my music if I stop my Apple Music subscription?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.