Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch Bar Not Available To Adjust Brightness At Startup

I'm running 10.12.1 on a brand new MacBook Pro 15" with Touch Bar.

On startup, when the login screen appears, the touch bar does not turn on so I can't adjust screen brightness. If I'm in a bright place, this means I can't see the login screen because the computer always seems to start up at minimum screen brightness. This makes login a frustrating blind search for the correct user to click on before I can type in a password.

Does anyone else have this problem or is your Touch Bar always lit up right away at startup?

Posted on Dec 9, 2016 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2017 6:12 PM

Hello All,

I've recently noticed this issue as well and when dealing with Apple Support over the phone, the High Tier Agent took 5 Mins to see if this was an "Expected Function"; He stated that this was as expected… After doing some testing after that disappointing session with Apple Support here is what I've found:

• Vanila install - TouchBar does appear at Login Page from StartUp and Restart
  • FileVault Activated - TouchBar does NOT appear at Login Page from StartUp and Restart

Note: I initiated the Encryption but did not let it complete before restarting / shutting down computer

I am currently testing any other factors, but it may be possible that the root of the issue is FileVault. I am currently waiting for a full encryption then removing it to see if this resolves the issue and I will report my findings here.

I wanted to check to see if anyone here that has this issue is also using FileVault as well to see if it coordinates with my efforts and testing…

Best,

Snake

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2017 6:12 PM in response to andronerf

Hello All,

I've recently noticed this issue as well and when dealing with Apple Support over the phone, the High Tier Agent took 5 Mins to see if this was an "Expected Function"; He stated that this was as expected… After doing some testing after that disappointing session with Apple Support here is what I've found:

• Vanila install - TouchBar does appear at Login Page from StartUp and Restart
  • FileVault Activated - TouchBar does NOT appear at Login Page from StartUp and Restart

Note: I initiated the Encryption but did not let it complete before restarting / shutting down computer

I am currently testing any other factors, but it may be possible that the root of the issue is FileVault. I am currently waiting for a full encryption then removing it to see if this resolves the issue and I will report my findings here.

I wanted to check to see if anyone here that has this issue is also using FileVault as well to see if it coordinates with my efforts and testing…

Best,

Snake

Dec 8, 2017 9:03 AM in response to Naked_Snake

Hey All,

Just completed my testing last night and when I disabled File Vault it looks like the touch bar appears at startup and restart again. At this time I have confirmed that the most likely root of my issues is with File Vault. I will test a few iterations and configurations to see if I can reproduce any other way but more importantly to get it to work while file vault is on.

Best,

Snake

Dec 12, 2017 4:15 PM in response to vynu

Hey Vynu,

Thanks for the follow up, I've came up with the same results multiple times as well from a Vanilla and old time machine back up. I'm going to try and turn back the OS to see if this is High Sierra only or if it affects Sierra as well. I'm thinking it maybe due to the new Apple file system… not 100% sure but some of my other tests I'm running in regards to APFS Encryption has run into some interesting Mounting Issues…

But let me know if your using High Sierra or Sierra in this case (this would cut my testing in half).

Best,

Snake

Dec 10, 2016 6:40 PM in response to andronerf

Hi ​andronerf,

I understand that you're not seeing Touch Bar options appear when you're starting up your Mac. I know it's important to be able to access this awesome new feature and efficiently log in to your user account, I'm happy to help. The Touch Bar should show the Control Strip on startup as shown below:

Find system controls and settings in the Control Strip

When you start up your MacBook Pro, the Control Strip on the right side of the Touch Bar shows a few familiar buttons like volume, mute, and display brightness, as well as Siri. The Escape (Esc) button appears on the left side of the Touch Bar.

User uploaded file

System controls: Tap User uploaded file in the Control Strip and it expands, showing system controls like brightness, Exposé, Launchpad, and media playback:

User uploaded file

Make your adjustments, then tap User uploaded file. The Control Strip returns to its smaller version on the right side of the Touch Bar, with Esc showing on the left side. You can always tap User uploaded file to expand the Control Strip and see all the system controls

Use the Touch Bar on your MacBook Pro

If you're not seeing this when you startup your Mac, I recommend booting your MacBook in safe mode. Safe mode will tell us if the issue is related to a startup item or plugins, and sometimes is all that is necessary to correct a problem. This will perform a directory check of your startup disk and remove some cache data. After your Mac has booted into safe mode, check to see if your Touch Bar shows the Control Strip, then restart your Mac normally and test for the behavior again.

Start up in safe mode

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The white Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn‘t finish starting up

Happy Holidays!

Dec 11, 2016 11:00 AM in response to MoonJ.

Safe mode didn't fix the problem. My touch bar is still totally dark until after I first log in. Thanks for your attempt to help, though.

Also, booting into safe mode reintroduced the graphics glitch problem I had "solved" yesterday when Apple Support had me reinstall macOS Sierra 10.12.1. My MacBook Pro 15" with AMD Radeon 460 graphics shows brief, bizarre graphics artifacts on startup. This is a widespread issue, as noted in Apple Support Communities and at macrumors.com. Does anyone know if this is a software/firmware issue that will be fixed in the upcoming macOS update or a hardware issue that can only be fixed with a computer replacement?

Dec 27, 2016 5:28 PM in response to andronerf

I'm having a more serious problem where in the morning, I found my MacBook Pro 13' showing a message about a critical update and that it would not restart without that update. I tried following the prompts to install the critical update to no avail after several retries. I decided to start the laptop in safe mode, with I was able to do, but the touch bar was completely black, nothing on screen. I read in another post that this critical update behavior is related to the touch bar, which had its own embedded OS (an iOS derivative), and that when there is a discrepancy between the date/time of the main OS and the touch bar OS, this critical update behavior may kick in. At this point, I am trying to perform a full backup of the machine, and will re-install it from scratch to see if that solves the problem, after which, if this does not resolve the problem, I will try to get a replacement. I feel that there is something definitely wrong with my laptop's touch bar.

Since day one, I've seen several problems such as the Touch ID functionality stop working after sometime and having to reboot the laptop to get it to work again, among other things. It's not boding well for the touch bar, at least in this laptop, right now. The problem is that I can't say definitely that this is a touch bar issue because I have the latest 10.12.3 beta installed, so, I'm going to see if this happens with a stable 10.12.2.

Touch Bar Not Available To Adjust Brightness At Startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.