Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Interface Latency with Logic, no solution

Refering to this thread:

Interface with latency problem in Logic X

I have not found a solution. I plugged off my external screen, there is no difference. I tried various audio settings (buffer etc.), no or only small difference. I thought it would be fixed by upgrading to Sierra OS. But there is absolutely no difference. I asked a professional music producer who tried a different audio interface, he said: Hey, that's a computer-hardware or OS problem (my computer seems to be fine). In fact I cannot work with my MacBook Pro and Logic and record Guitar. I'm really upset and thinking of switching back to Windows again. I have lost a lot of time and money, now considering spending at least another 2k EUR for new hard- and software (PC and Sequencer program).

If anyone has found a solution, I would be very thankful. I'm either having a very special problem or apple has totally lost touch to it's customers that want a little more than just surfing with safari.

thx!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Dec 11, 2016 7:22 AM

3 replies

Dec 11, 2016 8:15 AM in response to LuckyNoSlevin

Sorry to hear of the continued problem.

This driver is installed?

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads_hardware/yamaha_steinberg_usb_dri ver.html

And this Firmware update is installed? (important)

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads_hardware/downloads_ur824.html

(Version 2.1.1 midway down the page)

On my older MacPro system running Snow Leopard/Logic-9 & using an RME Firewire interface with Logic's I/O Buffer set at 128 I show Roundtrip latency at 7.2ms. Both newer operating systems and the Audio Interface can add their own safety buffers that increase this time. What do you show with a 128 buffer?

Last... there have been a few others that have reported latency problems, starts off ok but soon deteriorates and can only be cured by a reboot.

Good luck, I suspect it may be related to the audio interface which was probably designed for an older operating system. (but that's just a guess)

Dec 11, 2016 12:10 PM in response to Pancenter

Thanks for your reply Pancenter!

What do you show with a 128 buffer?

It shows 10,4 ms, I have around 7,5 with 64.

Good luck, I suspect it may be related to the audio interface which was probably designed for an older operating system.

I installed all updated drivers (again), no difference. I tried a completely different audio interface yesterday, a focusrite. I tried that with someone who studied audio production. Exactly the same outcome, though I didn't install any driver for it (it ran anyway, but with latency). This indicates an OS-problem. The Steinberg interface was released 1 or 2 years ago. Although El Capitan wasn't released then, I assume the new driver should do with El Capitan or Sierra.

I'm getting a bit tired of trying with my Mac, but still hoping for a solution.

Dec 24, 2016 12:13 AM in response to LuckyNoSlevin

So, I have now bought a new thunderbolt audio interface from focusrite. The problem stays the same. This means I can definitely narrow the problem down to Logic or MacOs. Someone from a different forum told me to downgrade my OS down to Mavericks (he had the same problems and they disappeared after he downgraded). But due to my hardware I cannot, Appstore says that I cannot install it on my Mac. My Mac (MacBook Pro Early 2015) was already delivered with Yosemite, therefore a downgrade propably isn't possible. I will now escalate this to apple and if there is no solution switch back to the Windows world. Since iTunes is really driving me crazy too, I will probably make a full switch (also google mobile) away from apple. And I was a hardcore apple supporter 😟. Focusing on consumers instead of creators is really not a wise longterm move of apple.

Interface Latency with Logic, no solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.