Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

news widget gone

Hello there,

I am using an iPhone 6 and since some days, the news widget is gone. I cannot reactivate it via the "add widget" function - the news widget is no longer listed there.

I wonder what happened - I did not change any settings, so this should simply not happen. I am a little upset that obviously, there is a function to simply delete widget from my phone without any notifcation.

Can somebody explain me how this could have possibly happened?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Dec 12, 2016 1:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2018 12:20 PM

I read one of the post and they were saying that it works, I have pasted their comments below.

User uploaded file

Everyone’s saying seems correct.

News widget is available at AppStore with the name ‘Apple News’.

But, it looks available only if your Apple ID’s country/region is set to ‘United States’.

So, I think this trouble is specific to users whose country/region is outside of ‘United States’.

I’m also the one who met this trouble.

I opened AppStore, tap ‘Apps’ button, tap user icon and changed my Apple ID’s country/region to ‘United States’ and backed to AppStore, tap ‘Search’ and typed ‘Apple News’, then I could find and reinstalled it. After I restored my original country/region, the news contents also changed for my country.

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2018 12:20 PM in response to Leshorseshoe

I read one of the post and they were saying that it works, I have pasted their comments below.

User uploaded file

Everyone’s saying seems correct.

News widget is available at AppStore with the name ‘Apple News’.

But, it looks available only if your Apple ID’s country/region is set to ‘United States’.

So, I think this trouble is specific to users whose country/region is outside of ‘United States’.

I’m also the one who met this trouble.

I opened AppStore, tap ‘Apps’ button, tap user icon and changed my Apple ID’s country/region to ‘United States’ and backed to AppStore, tap ‘Search’ and typed ‘Apple News’, then I could find and reinstalled it. After I restored my original country/region, the news contents also changed for my country.

Feb 2, 2017 4:38 AM in response to Khymon1

Hi, I have same issue.

iPhone 7/10.2.1 Ireland

Deleted pre installed apps except Health and Wallet. News app now gone

Changed language & region settings to US.

Widget returned but then had news icon on home screen. Deleted icon and it deleted the widget also.

News app not available in App Store.

Please advise.

Thank you

Susan D.

Jan 12, 2018 10:46 AM in response to Jasper_bear

I tried changing the Regions, and look into the history. But I did not buy it, it came as part of the IOS, it does not show in the purchase history. I suspect because it was a part of the IOS, Apple does not let it be downloaded from the Store.

Has anyone successfully found and re-installed any app that was removed from the original IOS?

Jan 13, 2018 10:02 PM in response to Leshorseshoe

Yea, i went to setting then iTunes and App Store then on top Apple ID then changed country/region to US. I made sure my Apple ID was on US country/region.

Later I opened App Store, selected search tab then I entered “Apple news” and hit search button, after it appeared on the search list I clicked on it and then installed the app news. After that I changed my Apple ID country/region to my original country.

Feb 10, 2018 6:59 PM in response to Jasper_bear

Changing the region does not work because it forces you to enter payment details for iCloud when changing regions and my credit card billin address is not from the US so it won’t let me enter it, meaning I cannot change the region.

I really need my news back. I didn’t even delete it, my phone was out l storage and it asked if wanted to delete unused apps. So it deleted automatically even though I read the news about ten times a day.

Dec 12, 2016 2:19 PM in response to Khymon1

Hi Khymon1!

I see that your iPhone's News widget is missing, and I'm happy to help. First, I'd like to make sure that you have the News app installed on the iPhone. You can search for the News app by following these instructions:

Search on your iOS device

If the News app has been uninstalled, you can reinstall it by searching for News in the App Store.

Remove built-in Apple apps from the Home screen on your iOS device with iOS 10

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

news widget gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.