Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB c port not working on new MacBook Pro 2016

One of the 4 USBc ports on my new MacBook Pro is not working. Have tried rebooting the computer twice but it has no effect. Have tried two peripheral devices (a monitor and a keyboard)- both work in the other ports but will not function in the one causing the trouble. Any ideas as how to address this?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Dec 12, 2016 6:06 AM

21 replies

Aug 5, 2017 6:15 PM in response to Aidan King

I was wondering this too. On right side on 13" Macbook Touchbar my USB-C stopped suddenly working.

Did SMC reset and everything. Didnt seem to help.

Then I turned my power cable otherwise around when putting to USB-C. I tested with other USB-C hub also and in both cases it didnt first work with one way but turning cable 180 degrees got recognized. I tested twice both and port didnt got recognized unless I turned cable upside down.

Now it works on both ways.

Yes it does not make any sense but this is what happened to me.

Oct 28, 2017 6:04 AM in response to Aidan King

I have had the same problem ever since purchasing my computer, on Feb 2017.

On May 2016 I took it to the Apple Store where I purchased it and guess what? It worked perfectly with their monitor. No problems whatsoever. Made me look like a huge [insert intelligence-insulting word of your choice]. But the moment I got home, it stopped working again. Like what?!

I finally found the time to take it to another Apple Store and they did find a problem. The Genius said he'd replace the port and it should be fine. They kept my computer for 2 weeks and replaced the whole motherboard. It finally worked.

It has now been two months since they replaced the MB. Guess what's happening now? It's dead again. No need to say how happy I am with Apple right now and, from what I see here, this is a very common problem with this computer. Can we get a 2017 model yet?

Oct 28, 2017 6:29 AM in response to DAFGrant

I guess you mean May 2017 not May 2016 right?

I have two unreliable ports that seem to work sometimes and sometimes not. They seem loose and like they don’t make good reliable contact.

I’m also plagued by problems with crappy, flimsy butterfly keyboard with stuck keys. I haven’t taken it in yet because I can’t afford to be two weeks without a computer.

It’s insane that Apple thinks it’s fine for you to be without your virtually brand new $3k computer for weeks.

Oct 28, 2017 6:34 AM in response to brsm1990

Yes, I did. I typed the wrong year the first time, tried to fix it and the giant trackpad evidently thought that I wanted to type that way back in my first sentence (because why wouldn't I, right?), so when I deleted the second attempt and typed it in the right line I got it wrong again.

I blame my typos on Apple too. Because you're right, it is insane. People who are spending that much money on their computers obviously need them for work and can't exactly sit back and wait for 2 weeks while to get a temporary fix.

Dec 29, 2017 4:58 AM in response to fonsr

RESET SMC

SAVED ME A 2 HR TRIP AS WELL----thank you thank you--be patient with my story.

my MBP 2016 had a blank screen when i came home from shopping wouldn't turn on, got the "plug in " icon after i held down the power button. it was plugged into power the whole time. battery dead.

none of my usb c ports would charge

battery dead.....i was panicking

called apple support they made me an appointment apple store 2 hrs away (closest one) to replace my battery

THEN 30 minutes later- my wife told me her MBP (same as mine) wasn't charging her iPhone, as i looked her port was dead as well BUT the other 3 were working.

Hmmmmmmm-----what's going on.

maybe glitch in any recent update

searched and found this support article.

tried it on my wife's---BINGO worked perfect now. all ports charging and all ports charging her iPhone

then i turned to my MBP blank screen----even though blank i did the key combo you suggested.

pressed power button and hallelujah screen came on, battery started charging. all ports working and charging.

VERY IMPRESSED

Jan 27, 2018 8:48 PM in response to Aidan King

I have all usb c ports fail and resetting does not work any more. I think this is a massive problem with design. Once all ports fail you can not even charge the Macbook Pro, once all power is gone from battery you then have a very very expensive paperweight.

My only savior is I can dual boot into Windows 10 and it can charge. So this is telling me it's something to do with software issue & not a hardware issue.

These issues all started since the High Sierra upgrade. Fix your rubbish software Apple or I'll be getting my money back.

USB c port not working on new MacBook Pro 2016

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.