You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro: Unable to complete Touch ID setup

Hello,

I have a brand-new 2016 15" MacBook Pro — I did not use migration assistant. During initial setup, I was able to add one fingerprint to Touch ID, but I am not able to add any additional fingerprints — I get the error message:

Failed
Unable to complete Touch ID setup

Is anyone else seeing this? Does anyone have a solution?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Posted on Dec 12, 2016 2:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2017 9:34 AM

hi there

I experience the same problem the last few days, so I removed my fingerprint and tried to add it again

Unfortunately, after clicking on adding a fingerprint I directly get the following error message:

'Failed Unable to complete Touch ID setup'

I have shut down my laptop, tried to do this procedure again, and I always get the same error message

thanks

g

16 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 23, 2017 9:34 AM in response to Rewfuss

hi there

I experience the same problem the last few days, so I removed my fingerprint and tried to add it again

Unfortunately, after clicking on adding a fingerprint I directly get the following error message:

'Failed Unable to complete Touch ID setup'

I have shut down my laptop, tried to do this procedure again, and I always get the same error message

thanks

g

Mar 3, 2017 5:26 AM in response to gkagad

Same here - my problem just started in the last two days. I noticed that Touch ID wasn't working to unlock my computer and after trying to replace the fingerprints, I got the "Failed Unable to complete Touch ID Setup". Tried restarting computer, no effect. Not on the beta versions, just on 10.12.3. Was working after update until two days ago.

Thanks

MacBook Pro: Unable to complete Touch ID setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.