Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 10.2 Battery Drain

Hello.

< iphone 6s+ on ios 10.2>

Since updated to ios 10.2, battery is draining very fast.

Auto-Brightness is on, but while using the phone in outdoor when brightness is full, battery went down from 53% to 42% in just 3 minutes.

Is anybody facing similar issue with ios 10.2 ?

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 10.2

Posted on Dec 12, 2016 11:24 PM

23 replies

Jan 1, 2017 3:57 AM in response to Akki@user

On 10.1 I had no issues. Updated to 10.2 then battery drain issue started. Noticed with light web browsing, but it is more severe when using camera. Also while plugging it into the charging cable it jumped from 10% to 46% in less than 3 mins. So I know it's a firmware/update problem. The battery would normally go down to 82% from a full charge with same usage on 10.1. I have an iPhone 6 Plus. Any official acknowledgment from Apple would be a start to dealing and resolving this issue.

Jan 5, 2017 4:08 AM in response to Akki@user

YES!! I am having the SAME exact issue with my iPhone-6 on iOS-10.2 and it's worse! My battery goes from 100% to 10% within less than 2 hours of use! Apple is no use, they just try to show you tips to improve battery life... No tips in the world will fix the problem, APPLE needs to fix the problem! New phones and technology and batteries aren't suppose to drain this quick...

Jan 5, 2017 11:40 AM in response to Akki@user

I have the same issue with my 6s+. I have opened a case with apple support, they seem to not be aware of this issue with the 6s+. But I have done many tests and they ran diagnostics and the battery is fine. I was wondering if my battery was failing. But I am pretty sure it is the 10.2 update. Even on standby it drains at a much higher rate. I tried turning off location services and it didn't make much of a difference and there are no background apps stuck. This is all in areas with good wifi coverage.

Jan 5, 2017 10:21 PM in response to Edmund Pirali

The battery drain issue continues unabated since my first post on this topic abouti 3 weeks ago. Several symptoms I have noticed - the drain seems to be exceedingly high during the time I am asleep. Over an 8 hour period my fully charged phone will lose 70% of its available power. I have disabled background app refresh, location services and notifications and the phone shows no higher than 30%, and usually slightly less. This situation repeatedly occurs in a full wi-fi environment. Tonight, while watching some live television shows during the evening, I was most annoyed to find that a fully charged phone lost 80% charge for about 75 minutes of single app use. Upon stopping the app and going back to the home page of the phone I noted that the % remaining of 20% and immediately received a low battery notice. I closed the phone, then reopened it to get a weather forecast and found that phone was dead. Upon reconnecting to a charger the battery that not 5 minutes earlier indicated 20% showed upon charging that battery charge remaining was 1%. I have resorted to taking my portable Anker charger with me when a connection is not available. I have trouble believing Apple is not aware of this issue. However, upon reading one of the posts above, I too will call Apple and request addressment. BTW, there is a battery recall for iPhone 6s', and when I checked to see if my phone was covered I found it was not. It is also interesting to note that my 2016 iPad Pro 9.7 running ios 10.2 does not demonstrate this problem. Any other posters noticing similar behaviors?

Jan 11, 2017 5:43 PM in response to geomon

I will pass along the information I posted in another similar thread.

There is indeed an issue with all iOS 10 versions at this point still, and Apple customer care is finally beginning to admit this.They have admitted a coding error is being worked on and to watch for updates beyond 10.2.

I've done a good amount of research on LiPo batteries over the years (very similar to Lithium-Ion)

being an RC car racer among other hobbies. I believe what is happening is the OS is creating an extreme draw on the battery through some app corruption and those with marginal batteries hit a lower point of charge and the sudden voltage drop near the end takes the phone to shut off mode. My battery checks fine, and I never had the 30% shutdown, but I did have 10% per hour drain in standby mode while running nothing.

So, after people with marginally good batteries update, they kick in the high drain from corrupt iOS code and experience the shutdown, and those with decent batteries just notice a very short charge life and warm to hot phones. Now, that brings up an issue we all will have to watch for. Battery failure will now be more widespread since the #1 cause of battery failure is HEAT and rapid drain. My point is, keep an eye out for updates, and also watch for phone getting warm. Check Settings > Battery regularly and watch for offending apps causing high drain as the coding errors are still in our phones. I also recommend the free battery app called "Battery Life" (it is the green icon version as there are at least 2 with that name), and check your battery condition and temp on a regular basis to help reduce the chance of further failure.

Jan 13, 2017 5:10 PM in response to Akki@user

Well I have now tried multiple times to get debugging information escalated about this to Apple engineers and I am about ready to give up on all Apple support. Across 2 chats and 2 calls all I am being given is the standard "restore your phone" and "we understand you rely on your phone" bs. I am an engineer and have been trying various tests to see if I can find the cause of the drain (which I am sure is firmware related). On the first call they ran a diagnostic on the phone and there was no battery issue. I have tried turning on/off various services (location, push, etc) to see what may be the culprit. Last night I put the phone into low power mode with around 67% charge (not plugged in). This morning after 8 hours it was showing a charge of around 25%. Obviously this was alarming. So I tried a simple test of restarting the phone. And after the restart the phone was showing 63% not 25% charge. And the number held. You would think this kind of troubleshooting information would be useful to pass on, but you'd be wrong.

And yet I guess engineers at Apple don't need any help tracking down a bug that they have not fixed in weeks. I guess they are all busy trying to fix the watchOS 3.1.1 bug that is still not worked out.

I am beyond frustrated at this point.

Jan 19, 2017 9:25 PM in response to Akki@user

I am having same issue on iphone 5. this is what i did to save some battery. Go to setting, general, accessibility, reduce motion to ON, Increase contrast(reduce transparency ON, Darken Color ON, Reduce white point ON). Then turned off iCloud and Background App fresh. Also when you are using wifi, turn off your phone data vise versa. My phone got over 20 hours of stand by time. Before applying new setting, calibrate your phone battery. Just drain the battery to 0% and charge it 100%. Good luck

Jan 19, 2017 10:29 PM in response to shinhosuck1973

Totally understand your distress..whether it be an iPhone 5, 6., 6s we all are experiencing the problem and trying all sorts of changes to settings to offset the drain. However, those changes defeat the purpose for a phone having so many capabilities...I note from the number of updates I am getting for app software that Apple must be in final touches for an update to 10.2. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the problem goes away.

Feb 8, 2017 7:01 AM in response to Akki@user

I don't know about anyone else but I checked the battery indicator in Settings and a game called Wordbubbles has eaten 67% in the last 24 hours! I had probably used the app for about 30 minutes at most whilst the rest of the time it was in the background so I suspect it is a bug with some apps not sleeping correctly when in the background.

Check out your battery status and see if any apps are using more juice than others.

Hope this helps.

Dec 13, 2016 7:04 PM in response to Akki@user

I am having the exact same problem on my 6s. Previous IOS 10.1.1 had no battery drain problems, now battery drain is horrible! Tonight I got home, battery was a 29% percent, sat on my night stand in standby (no background apps and screen was off) the battery dropped to 17% in less than one hour of none (standby) use.

I've used iPhones for the past several years since the 3s so I have many years of experience to compare. Sadly this release of IOS 10 has been a horrible experience for me. From IOS 10.0 through 10.1.1, constant lockups on the dialer app and contacts app. Now with version 10.2 the lockups on this apps seems to be resolved, but now the battery problem is a nightmare.

I really hate to do this, but is there a way for me to go back to IOS 9 until these issues are resolved?

ios 10.2 Battery Drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.