Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How install ubuntu on new macbook pro 2016?

How install ubuntu on new macbook pro 2016? If yes how?! Thanks

Posted on Dec 13, 2016 6:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2017 5:24 PM

Okay so 2016/2017 15" MacBook pro's won't boot ubuntu properly without editing at boot time, unless you use a Linux distro with 4.11 Linux kernel, like openSuse tumbleweed. But you're going to need a USB keyboard and mouse. I suggest using two USB-c to USB dongles or one with a USB hub. The touchpad and keyboard aren't supported by any Linux distro sat this time, but there's drivers you can install after the Linux installation, you're also going to want to have a USB wifi card.

After installation google "install Linux on 15 MacBook Pro 2016" the github page at the top has the drivers and there's an installation guide

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2017 5:24 PM in response to SamBis90

Okay so 2016/2017 15" MacBook pro's won't boot ubuntu properly without editing at boot time, unless you use a Linux distro with 4.11 Linux kernel, like openSuse tumbleweed. But you're going to need a USB keyboard and mouse. I suggest using two USB-c to USB dongles or one with a USB hub. The touchpad and keyboard aren't supported by any Linux distro sat this time, but there's drivers you can install after the Linux installation, you're also going to want to have a USB wifi card.

After installation google "install Linux on 15 MacBook Pro 2016" the github page at the top has the drivers and there's an installation guide

Dec 13, 2016 7:18 AM in response to SamBis90

there should be an installer.

Make a note of the drive or partition you are installing it to because names like "macintosh HD" and "my drive" will likely not be shown as the names of the drives when the Ubuntu installer is running.

this video is long and (IMHO) unnecessarily technical but it does explain what you are trying to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQIaDO9nR6Y

How install ubuntu on new macbook pro 2016?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.