Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component isn't installed

I just installed Sierra but when I open Mpeg Streamclip I get a message that says Apple QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component isn't installed. Does anybody know what this means? I had to have been installed before because I've been using it forever.

Posted on Dec 13, 2016 8:51 AM

7 replies

Feb 23, 2017 7:40 AM in response to Pete Collins

This is not universally true.

It depends on what you want Streamclip to accomplish. Many of us can no longer unpack DVD files with MPEGStreamclip using MacOS Sierra, with or without ye olde MPEG2 Playback Component. There's a lengthy discussion about this on fop.co. This product no longer works on our Sierra systems and we've tried what we think is every work around.

Note that the last time Squared5 touched this product was 2 to 4 years ago. Much has changed in the Quicktime and OS since then.

Feb 23, 2017 7:52 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

If you attempt to use the stand alone version (1.9.2) with an old version of the MPEG-2 Playback component, you're correct. I just did this yesterday for the same reason: ripping DVD on a laptop that I don't usually use. Tried the standard version with my MPEG-2 playback install = FAIL.

But if you download the beta version (1.9.3b8), it includes a version of the MPEG-2 playback component that will install and will work on Sierra.

Apple QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component isn't installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.