Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the number in the following purhcase description: APL* ITUNES.COM/BILL,866-712-7753, CA U, a legitimate Apple number, or should I be concerned about fraudulent and suspicious activity on my account?

I was concerned about a bank statement charge from Apple iTunes that I did not recognize. It turns out the charge was legitimate, but when I googled the number in the following charge description, APL* ITUNES.COM/BILL,866-712-7753,CA U, I found many forums saying that if this description, specifically the number, shows up, it is linked to fraudulent and suspicious activity and I should call Apple immediately and close my credit card for extra security.

I just spoke with an Apple Support advisor, who was incredibly supportive and helped me clear up the confusion about the charge in the first place. However, the number she knows is associated with Apple customer service, and what I used to contact her in the first place is 800-6927753. Same last four digits, but the first six are different. She wrote her manager, and is awaiting his reply, meanwhile I posted feedback for iTunes and started this forum.

The mystery remains: is the number on my purchase history legitimately linked to Apple?

Does anyone know the answer? Why doesn't Apple make it clear to their customers and employees if this number is truly legitimate?

Thanks for any help and clarification you may have.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), iOS 10.2

Posted on Dec 13, 2016 12:03 PM

1 reply

Dec 13, 2016 12:10 PM in response to seasie7

see this article, it also provides the information for reporting fraud.

Identifying fraudulent "phishing" email - Apple Support

you can also see the purchases Apple actually authorized from here.

See your purchase history in the iTunes Store on a Mac or PC - Apple Support

if you see a purchase on the bill not shown here it would strongly suggest fraud.

Is the number in the following purhcase description: APL* ITUNES.COM/BILL,866-712-7753, CA U, a legitimate Apple number, or should I be concerned about fraudulent and suspicious activity on my account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.