Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone recommend which laptop woudl be best for a14 year old budding graphic artist

Can someone recommend which laptop woudl be best for a14 year old budding graphic artist, Macbook Pro or Mac Air. She edits a lot of photos and wants to add adobe photoshop. please share your thoughts

Posted on Dec 13, 2016 1:37 PM

2 replies

Dec 15, 2016 6:50 AM in response to pikedb

I've used Photoshop on a variety of Apple computers, notebooks and desktops. For me one of the more important things has been display size. While I can use Photoshop on my 13" MacBook Air and 13" MacBook Pro I prefer using my desktop which has a much larger display. For several years I owned a 15" MBP and found PS acceptable on that display but still preferred something larger. In fact I was happiest using that 15" MBP and a 22" external display. Before thinking about which notebook to get I'd suggest thinking about how she can best use the computer. A professional needs a fast computer because time is money but someone just learning doesn't need the speediest computer. I'm perfectly happy with the performance of my 5 year old MBA when I've connected it to a larger LCD.

Dec 15, 2016 8:22 AM in response to pikedb

I put my 14 year old on a Asus laptop with Photoshop and Painter and a Wacom tablet using Windows 10. The system was less than a MacBook Air and it will outperform all but top end MacBook Pro which cost nearly 4x the price.

While I support graphic artists on the OS X platform I've found the MacBook, and MacBook Pro models to very expensive and offering less flexibiltiy than many systems with far more power and less of a price tag. Apples lower end models focus more on energy savings and longer batter life then offering any benefit to computing power.

If you wish to stay with Mac and use for photo editing and image production I'd say use a system with at least 16GB RAM and an i5 CPU because you can't upgrade new Mac laptops with more RAM or a faster CPU later. You generally can't upgrade the CPU in the vast majority of laptops without a serious headache but Apple has gone the extra step to solder the components directly to the motherboard which also complicates the cost of repairs when a $100 RAM chip blows out and it translates to a $1700 logic board replacement to fix a $100 problem. So again, if you stick with an Apple solution. I highly suggest Apple Care so you get an extra 3 years on normal hardware issues which could cost more than a new laptop with them.

Can someone recommend which laptop woudl be best for a14 year old budding graphic artist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.