You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

watchOS 11 is now available

Introducing sleep apnea notifications, the Vitals app, training load, additional customization for Activity rings, a more personalized Smart Stack, and more. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If i have the series 2 apple watch and i want to go swimming or take a shower with it do i have to set it to the swim work out setting or will it automatically be waterproof?

If i have the series 2 apple watch and i want to go swimming or take a shower with it do i have to set it to the swim workout setting or will it automatically be waterproof?

Apple Watch Series 2

Posted on Dec 13, 2016 3:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 13, 2016 3:31 PM

Hi

Apple Watch Series 2 remains equally water resistant regardless of whether or not Water Lock is turned on.

Planned water exposure (except swimming workouts)

If you plan to get Apple Watch Series 2 wet under other circumstances than a swimming workout (such as during general wear in a pool or when showering), you can manually turn on Water Lock first (to prevent accidental screen interactions) and then turn it off again afterwards, which also clears any water from inside the speaker:

• Swipe up from the bottom of the watch face to open Control Center > tap on Water Lock to lock the screen.
  • When finished: turn the Digital Crown to unlock the screen and to clear water from the speaker.

Swimming workouts

Starting a swimming workout in the Workout app on Apple Watch Series 2 models automatically enables Water Lock, which locks the screen to prevent accidental interactions during your workout. To finish your workout and expel any water:

• Press the Digital Crown and the side button at the same time (which pauses the workout).
  • Turn the Digital Crown, which unlocks the screen and clears any water from inside the watch's speaker (it may make a sound).
  • Swipe right and tap on End.

Accidental / other exposure to water

If the watch is exposed to water accidentally at any time or if you forget to enable it before planned exposure to water, Water Lock can be enabled afterwards and then immediately turned off again to expel any water from inside the speaker (by following the same steps as above).

After swimming or exposing it to anything other than fresh water, be sure to clean your Apple Watch Series 2 by gently rinsing it with warm tap water. The watch and band should also then be dried using a nonabrasive, lint-free cloth.

More information:

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

About Apple Watch water resistance - Apple Support

https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd707b42a5e

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 13, 2016 3:31 PM in response to Love2345671

Hi

Apple Watch Series 2 remains equally water resistant regardless of whether or not Water Lock is turned on.

Planned water exposure (except swimming workouts)

If you plan to get Apple Watch Series 2 wet under other circumstances than a swimming workout (such as during general wear in a pool or when showering), you can manually turn on Water Lock first (to prevent accidental screen interactions) and then turn it off again afterwards, which also clears any water from inside the speaker:

• Swipe up from the bottom of the watch face to open Control Center > tap on Water Lock to lock the screen.
  • When finished: turn the Digital Crown to unlock the screen and to clear water from the speaker.

Swimming workouts

Starting a swimming workout in the Workout app on Apple Watch Series 2 models automatically enables Water Lock, which locks the screen to prevent accidental interactions during your workout. To finish your workout and expel any water:

• Press the Digital Crown and the side button at the same time (which pauses the workout).
  • Turn the Digital Crown, which unlocks the screen and clears any water from inside the watch's speaker (it may make a sound).
  • Swipe right and tap on End.

Accidental / other exposure to water

If the watch is exposed to water accidentally at any time or if you forget to enable it before planned exposure to water, Water Lock can be enabled afterwards and then immediately turned off again to expel any water from inside the speaker (by following the same steps as above).

After swimming or exposing it to anything other than fresh water, be sure to clean your Apple Watch Series 2 by gently rinsing it with warm tap water. The watch and band should also then be dried using a nonabrasive, lint-free cloth.

More information:

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

About Apple Watch water resistance - Apple Support

https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd707b42a5e

If i have the series 2 apple watch and i want to go swimming or take a shower with it do i have to set it to the swim work out setting or will it automatically be waterproof?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.