Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FileVault not working properly on MBP 15" 2016 TouchBar and MacOS Sierra 10.12.2

Hi everyone,

I recently got a MBP 15" TouchBar 2016 under new released MacOS Sierra 10.12.2

After having backuped my data and restaured it on this new bought machine, via Time Machine, i decided to use FileVault to encrypt my data.

I've followed the above steps (macOS Sierra: Chiffrer le contenu de votre Mac avec FileVault) as i used to do with my previous MBP, choosed the option with the generated key to keep.

When it asks me to reboot my computer, it's impossible for me to use my user's password, and i must use the FileVault encryption key generated prior to generate a new user password for my account, to login. Worst, each time i reboot my computer, i have to do the same process : reset my password using the FileVault encryption key.

I guess it's a regression...

Anyone encountering that issue too ? Any solution to resolve it ?

Thanks by advance for your help.

Regards.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS Sierra (10.12.2)

Posted on Dec 14, 2016 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2017 3:41 AM

Hi, I have this exact issue - Began after the 10.12.2 update. It appears to only impact FileVault users, running 10.12.2, using complex passwords that are entered rapidly. It seems that there is an entry issue that causes characters to be skipped when rapidly entering a long/complex password. I have confirmed that this does not occur on a machine where FileVault is not enabled but is running 10.12.2 and using a complex password that is entered rapidly. I am hoping that that someone out there can reproduce this issue in a more useful environment and submit an official bug report. I have had to use the Restore volume to reset my user password 7 times now since yesterday in my attempts to determine what was going on... It *****. Disabling FileVault isn't an option.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2017 3:41 AM in response to sylla75

Hi, I have this exact issue - Began after the 10.12.2 update. It appears to only impact FileVault users, running 10.12.2, using complex passwords that are entered rapidly. It seems that there is an entry issue that causes characters to be skipped when rapidly entering a long/complex password. I have confirmed that this does not occur on a machine where FileVault is not enabled but is running 10.12.2 and using a complex password that is entered rapidly. I am hoping that that someone out there can reproduce this issue in a more useful environment and submit an official bug report. I have had to use the Restore volume to reset my user password 7 times now since yesterday in my attempts to determine what was going on... It *****. Disabling FileVault isn't an option.

Apr 29, 2017 6:09 AM in response to sylla75

I have the same issue. After buying the new macbook pro 15" with touch bar, everything worked. Until I enabled filevault. When restarting I cannot log in. I have to use the recovery key to log in.

Since a fe days I noticed that I cannot log in from the laptop keyboard. When I have a USB keyboard or bluetooth keyboard attached, I can log in from the external keyboard.

Meanwhile I have os x 10.12.4 and I still have issues...

Dec 15, 2016 10:07 AM in response to sylla75

Howdy sylla75,

I understand your issue to be that after turning on FileVault, it no longer accepts your password and you have to reset your password every time you turn on your Mac. I don’t blame you for seeking a solution - it’s important to be able to turn on your Mac and not have to change your password every time! You’re in the right place to find a resolution.

Try turning off FileVault and then turn it back on.

Turn off FileVault

If you no longer want to encrypt your startup disk, you can turn off FileVault:

1. Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Security & Privacy.
  2. Click the FileVault tab.
  3. Click the Lock User uploaded file button, then enter an administrator name and password.
  4. Click Turn Off FileVault.
  5. Restart your Mac.

After your Mac starts up, decryption of your startup disk occurs in the background as you use your Mac. This takes time, and it happens only while your Mac is awake and plugged in to AC power. You can check progress in the FileVault section of Security & Privacy preferences.

Give that a try and let us know the outcome.
Take Care!

FileVault not working properly on MBP 15" 2016 TouchBar and MacOS Sierra 10.12.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.