Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Audio MacBook Pro Retina early 2015

So yesterday i just closed my early 2015 Macbook Pro retina after watching youtube through the internal speakers. Today there's no sound whatsoever.

External audio interface and Airport express work. But headphone jack and internal speakers don't make any sound. Nothing is obstructing the audio port (check with a flashlight), also tried the old plugging in a headphone a couple of times.

I've been through NVRAM-Reset, SMC-Reset a complete reinstall and nearly every hint on the internet to no avail. Does anyone have an idea?

Hardware diagnosis shows no erros and the internal speakers show up in the audio/midi app and the sound prefenrence pane.

I have audio input with both internal microphone and the headset from my iPhone speakers. Any pointers?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), .

Posted on Dec 14, 2016 6:39 AM

2 replies

Dec 15, 2016 7:08 PM in response to nhlsq

Hello nhlsq,

Thanks for your question. I understand your internal speakers are not working on your 2015 MacBook Pro after watching a YouTube video and putting your Mac to sleep.

Were you watching YouTube in the Safari Browser or in the dedicated YouTube app? If in Safari, check to make sure you don't have the audio muted in one or more tabs.

Safari for Mac: Mute audio in Safari tabs

Try disconnecting your audio interface and change the sound settings for your Mac back to the defaults:

Troubleshooting issues with no audio from built-in speakers on Macs
  1. Remove any external audio devices and cables from the USB, FireWire, or 3.5 mm audio ports.
  2. Open System Preferences from the Apple () menu, the Dock, or from the Applications folder on your hard drive.
  3. Open the Sound pane and the Output tab, then select Internal Speakers as in this image:

User uploaded file
    1. If Internal Speakers is not an option proceed to step 4. For Mac Pro computers, proceed to step 5.
    2. If Internal Speakers is present but not selected, select it and test again.
    3. If the Output volume slider is low or the Mute box is selected, raise the volume slider or deselect the Mute box and test again.
    4. If the issue continues through these steps and Internal Speakers remains the selected option proceed to step 5.
  4. If the Internal Speakers option does not appear in the Output tab and your computer is not a Mac Pro, check that Digital Out is present as in the image below:

User uploaded file
    1. Confirm again that all external audio devices and cables have been removed.
    2. Check to see if a red light is lit in the line-out port. If so, your Apple computer may need service.
    3. If you do not see a red light, proceed to step 5.
  5. If the issues persist, contact Apple support for further troubleshooting assistance.

Take care.​

Dec 16, 2016 12:50 AM in response to nhlsq

Thanks for your suggestions sarah_s1.

I already checked all those steps.

Audio through USB-Interface works, when it is connected. But when it is not connected neither speaker nor headphone jack works.

No tabs are/were muted. The audio preference pane shows everything as it should be. the proper output is selected and it is not muted.

Next step will be apple support. Need to make an appointment.

No Audio MacBook Pro Retina early 2015

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.