Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voice Navigation Issues In CarPlay after iOS 10.2 Update

I have "No Voice" selected in Maps settings: Maps->Driving & Navigation->Navigation Voice Volume.

Whenever I plug in the cable for CarPlay it enables voice navigation by automatically changing the setting from "No Voice" to "Low Volume"

Using iPhone 7 and iOS 10.2. CarPlay is a 2017 Audi A4.

This worked in 10.1.x for both my iPhone 6 and newer iPhone 7.

iPhone 7, iOS 10.2

Posted on Dec 14, 2016 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2017 3:50 PM

One of the posts here helped me to resolve this matter for my purposes, and thanks to the person who suggested it. The CarPlay Maps screen has a speaker icon in the upper left hand corner. Touching it mutes the sound and reverts the selection on the iPhone to no voice. I wish it was possible to merely make the selection on the phone and be done with it, but doing it on the Maps screen does remedy the issue for now.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2017 3:50 PM in response to xclntgig

One of the posts here helped me to resolve this matter for my purposes, and thanks to the person who suggested it. The CarPlay Maps screen has a speaker icon in the upper left hand corner. Touching it mutes the sound and reverts the selection on the iPhone to no voice. I wish it was possible to merely make the selection on the phone and be done with it, but doing it on the Maps screen does remedy the issue for now.

Dec 14, 2016 8:12 PM in response to xclntgig

UPDATE:

Voice guidance is enabled automatically when starting navigation to a destination from CarPlay. The "No Voice" option is maintained when starting navigation when the iPhone is not plugged in to CarPlay. Since I prefer not to use voice navigation I have to open the car's center console, unlock the phone, and go to settings to turn it off each time I start navigation from CarPlay. This was not the case prior to the 10.2 update.

Dec 22, 2016 7:21 AM in response to xclntgig

Why didn't they leave it alone!! They messed up my maps with 10.2 update there is no option for always facing up on my cars screen. The Detail button now has an icon with a speaker where before it has the direction triangle icon. So now all I have is North facing up which I cannot stand!!! Most car GPS has car always facing up. IIt's easier to glance and see that a left is a left. Not left then realize your car is faced downwards making what appears to be a left now a right turn.

Dec 23, 2016 9:02 AM in response to Chaz27

Same here. I have 'No Voice' enabled until choosing a destination and hittting 'go'. Also, if I use navigation while NOT connected to CarPlay, I don't have the issues. 'No Voice' stays enabled after choosing a destination and hitting 'go'. It seems to be a check in the algorithm when connected to CarPlay.

So, each time I choose a new destination and hit 'go' I have to unlock my phone and re-enable 'No Voice'

Worked fine on my iPhone 6 & 7 prior to iOS 10.2.

Dec 23, 2016 9:09 AM in response to xclntgig

Yes. Works fine alone. (No CarPlay) But once hooked up to CarPlay forget it. All crazy things happen. I figured out my zoom detail button. Which is stupid. The North up icon disappears once a destination is reached and you hit 'go' there is a little speaker icon on top left of screen if you tap the screen once. Maybe this will enable voice prompts or disable?

Dec 24, 2016 8:34 AM in response to Chaz27

Yes, I see that now. My car doesn't have a touch screen and instead has a nob that I turn that scrolls through all the selectable options. I see an audio icon now that seems to toggle voice navigation settings . I think the issue is that the CarPlay setting overrides the phone setting now. Going to go for a drive and try that now.

Voice Navigation Issues In CarPlay after iOS 10.2 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.