Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot reinstall OS X El Capitan : PLEASE help!!

Hi, I am due to hand over my Imac (2012) tomorrow... i thus did a full erase of all the data (only backing up the files I needed). The computer now boots up into the Utility Disk, prompting me to reinstall OS X... The problem is that when i do so (apple id etc all OK), i am prompted to install OS X El Capitan... but it will not install!! I keep getting prompted to re-enter my account info, which is accepted, but when I click on "continue", another page appears again asking me to log in... over and over.

I read online that this is a common problem when trying to install OS X El Capitan "directly", and that I first need to install Yosemite... how do I do that?? On the IMac in question I cannot access any software that will allow me on to the internet to download Yosemite -- I have Macbook Pro : Can I download the OS on to an external hard drive and use it to boot/install on the Imac? Where can I get an "external" copy of Yosemite (I have looked but found nothing).

I need to solve this by tomorrow morning... PLEASE help.

Thank you

Posted on Dec 14, 2016 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2017 7:12 PM

Did a clean erase of hard drive, now reinstall OS (El Captain), but when it asks to input Apple ID and password, it kept on saying "This action could not be completed. Try again." It'll ultimately asks if you forgot your password, which I managed to change password a couple of times, even signed up for another ID, all to no avail.

Now I have a erased hard drive iMac without any OS

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2017 7:12 PM in response to babowa

Did a clean erase of hard drive, now reinstall OS (El Captain), but when it asks to input Apple ID and password, it kept on saying "This action could not be completed. Try again." It'll ultimately asks if you forgot your password, which I managed to change password a couple of times, even signed up for another ID, all to no avail.

Now I have a erased hard drive iMac without any OS

Jul 22, 2017 9:40 PM in response to Randy C

You weren't specific with the model; here are the specs of an 8,1:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.4-20-inch-alu minum-early-2008-penryn-specs.html

The problem is: internet recovery will not work with that machine.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202313

Your original OS was 10.5.x; a retail Snow Leopard install disk should work - do you have one?

Dec 14, 2016 4:06 PM in response to Mobile Blues

Hi, yes I had read that before reformatting the computer. I have followed all the steps indicated in part1 of this document... I was able follow the instructions on screen, which prompted me to confirm (agree) the license, enter my apple ID etc but then every time it tries to access the App Store the process gets stuck...

mostly I keep getting booted out of the App Store and am asked to enter my ID & password.

This last time I got a message saying that "the product wasn't currently available and to try again later"...

Any suggestions?

Much appreciated, thank you

Dec 14, 2016 6:51 PM in response to nicaru

What model do you have? A late 2012 came with Mavericks (10.8.x). That is what you will need to reinstall on the computer as any newer OS downloaded from the app store is tied to your Apple ID and the license is NOT transferable. You must remove any software downloaded from the app store or the buyer will be working with a pirated OS which will present problems.

Use Internet recovery - Command + Option + R - then use its disk utility to erase your hard drive and then choose to reinstall the OS. That should result in installing mavericks and is in addition to the article linked to below.

Here is the latest info from Apple:

What to do before selling or giving away your Mac - Apple Support

This is the article to follow - simply reinstalling will not work.

Cannot reinstall OS X El Capitan : PLEASE help!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.