Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro stuck on boot after installing 10.12.2

My mid 2010 17" MacBook Pro is stuck on reboot after I installed 10.12.2

It just repeats

SmartBattery: finished polling type 4 over and over.

The type 4 changes to type 2 if I unplug and plug in the magsafe power cord.

I have tried:

Resetting the NRAM

resetting the SMC

booting with option and running disk repair

doing a safe boot (shift)

disconnecting and reconnecting the internal battery

booting with cmd R and reinstalling Sierra over the internet.

booting to a USB Sierra install disk which will then boot the machine and give me basic repair options including Terminal

Nothing has worked so far and I have the same problem.

Ant suggestions short of backing up, reformatting the drive and installing from scratch ?

MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9), Belkin F8T067 bluetooth keypad

Posted on Dec 14, 2016 3:55 PM

44 replies

Oct 3, 2017 2:47 PM in response to Lilikleeds

Hi, Lilik,

I don't know if I can help you completely, but you can have a way... To be easier, it was nice to have a HD/SSD external in a case with macOS installed and boot for him. 2- Find the folders as indicated here (Macintosh HD/Library/Extensions) and when you get on it, click "Order by Date". Then you erase the oldest (two or three) especially of printers.

Unfortunately I can't do this by the Terminal. Good luck.

Important: How to choose a startup disk on your Mac - Apple Support (Read to the end! Terminal step by step).

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Jun 4, 2017 4:24 AM in response to levinside

Same for me. I removed these two files, and an additional one named Vodafone.kext, and my mac booted like a charm.

I once used a 3G USB dongle from Huawei on my mac. Must be related to those. The dongle was a Huawei model delivered by my local carrier Proximus, but it's also used by Vodafone (and possible other local carriers).

Jun 13, 2017 12:39 AM in response to davidlefux

Hey David,

this helped me (and the Apple employee at the Genius Bar) a lot of time. I had the exact same problem and presented your answer as a possible solution. I myself wasn't able to execute all the terminal inputs so they just manually removed all the corrupt files via some sort of Developers OS and now my Mac is back to work. Thanks to you!!

Regards from Germany, Reiner

Jun 24, 2017 9:03 AM in response to nparry2

I have the same problem now, upgrading from Yosemite (10.10.5) to Sierra. Nice to have found this thread so there is a solution. I am just wondering if someone knows there is a list somewhere with the basic .kext files from Apple so I know what to leave untouched (like the com.apple and IOS). As I don't have any of the .kext files which caused the hanging mentioned in the replies so I am not sure what I can take out the get the upgrade running through.

Jun 24, 2017 9:51 AM in response to Angelluc

Oké with some luck I found this list: https://pastebin.com/2KnkhFgz

When I compared my list with it I found I have a bunch of extra files (including from Huawei which I didn't recognize before)

Is there anything from this list you would suggest to leave it where it is?

BJUSBLoad.kext

DymoUsbPrinterClassDriver.kext

EPSONUSBPrintClass.kext

ElmediaPlayer.kext

HuaweiDataCardDriver.kext

JMicronATA.kext

LexmarkUSBMerge.kext

RemoteVirtualInterface.kext

SATSMARTDriver.kext

SATSMARTLib.plugin

USBExpressCardCantWake_Huawei.kext

ZTEUSBCDCACMData.kext

ZTEUSBMassStorageFilter.kext

ZoomAudioDevice.kext

hp_Deskjet_io_enabler.kext

hp_Inkjet1_io_enabler.kext

hp_Inkjet3_io_enabler.kext

hp_Inkjet4_io_enabler.kext

hp_Inkjet5_io_enabler.kext

hp_Inkjet8_io_enabler.kext

hp_Inkjet_io_enabler.kext

hp_Laserjet_io_enabler.kext

hp_Officejet_io_enabler.kext

hp_PhotosmartPro_io_enabler.kext

hp_Photosmart_io_enabler.kext

hp_designjet_series.kext

hp_fax_io.kext

hp_io_printerclassdriver_enabler.kext

hp_qc_io_enabler.kext

Jul 25, 2017 10:12 AM in response to davidlefux

Thank you very much. I waited 5 days for update. I tried all standard methods as reset PRAM, reinstall MacOS,

recovery from TimeMachine. No success.

After verbose boot (CMD+ V) I saw cause.

And boot to single user mode (CMD+S) I deleted all kext modules from years 2012-2013 (HP drivers, mass storages etc. ).

Good contribution. Thank's again.

Jul 28, 2017 4:30 AM in response to MirekFr

Hello.

I was reading myself through the answers. It looks promising as I also get a Huawei phone.

Unfortunately I am a total Terminal newbie and have no idea how to remove or even see the files.

I was doing step by step from the other guys into but had the first issue on the HD name. As my HD name is MAC HD and it does not recognize the space between MAC and HD.

I made it somehow to the kextname.kext tag. (mv KEXTNAME.kext / Volumes / Mac HD/kextbackup and then it shows me.

MV (-f , -i, -n ) (-v) source target

MV (-f , -i, -n ) (-v) source ..... .directory.

I have no plans at all as the first step was that it did not recognize the Mac HD and then it did when I left HD away. After I had to put Mac HD full and got to this point.

How to get the the overview and file. and what are the commands to delete it?

Would be very appreciated to get assistance.

Best

Jul 28, 2017 5:06 AM in response to The Barabas

I was able to fix that.

For newbies.

When are are in the terminal please write "Macintosh HD" with the "

Also as soon you reach the directory write:

ls

to get the list of whats in the directory.

Then to delete the file write

rm -rf name of file you want to delete.

in my case it was also the HuaweiDataCardDriver.kext file. I only deleted that one and it works again.

thanks to anyone who wrote into it as it helped for me.

thanks

Aug 6, 2017 2:59 PM in response to nparry2

I had the same problem with the latest OSX update 10.12.6. Never had it before. Stuck on Apple logo with progress bar all the way done but never got any further. Sadly after contacting Apple support and being told by the techies there the same thing that used to frustrate me so much over a dozen years ago when I used a PC (reinstall the OS system), it took me two days to decide to use the verbose boot. It stuck on "finished polling type 4"). I typed that into a Google search and got this discussion thankfully. After reading all responses I simply went into my library/extensions folder and removed every single kext file. VoilĂ ... fixed! Any programs that are current and missing that file will request you redownload and then they'll install their updated kext. If nervous just move the kexts to a folder on your desktop where you can put them back one by one to find the culprit. The other part of this issue is of course that Apple support used to have these folks who seemed excited about cool new issues and did their research and dug in deep to help fix a problem. Now its "reinstall the operating system". Just like Windows. Ugh. Thank the Great Spirit for forums with smart people like this one.

Aug 30, 2017 5:14 AM in response to davidlefux

Thanks, that fixed it.

Same problem with an auto-update of MacOS Sierra on a Macbook pro mid-2010.

Macbook would hang on startup. Not possible to put it in target mode, or in recovery mode.

I opened it, remove the ssd, put it in an external enclosure, plugged it to another mac, and applied the solution above.

(I was happy to have an old mac with user-replacable disk 🙂)

the culprit was only

HuaweiDataCardDriver.kext

ps: 12 years ago, I used to laugh at windows updates, their failures, and the need to search deep inside the system to repair the files. OSX was brilliant and sleek. Those days seem over!

Oct 2, 2017 7:53 PM in response to stephen.mcnulty

Stephen Hi Since you have the most updated comment I need your help. Im a clueless with my macbook air 2013. Everything started with the installing of MacOs Sierra 10.12.2. I tried everything including the safe mode.. and ok now Im watching the black screen with thousands of commands.. but. I see from the comments above that there are some files with a kext extension that might be the problem and should be erased. My big ( and potencially stupid question.. sorry about that) is: how do I obtain that list to understand what file should be erased?..

I mean.. when i see the black screen is stucked in Smartbattery: finished polling type 4... then ... please step by step what should I do ?? help help.. many thanks. Lili.

macbook pro stuck on boot after installing 10.12.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.