Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12.5.4 Trying Connect To iTunes Store While In Airplane Mode.

I just updated to iTunes 12.5.4 from iTunes 12.1. Now, every time I play my music playlist on my laptop while on "Airplane Mode", I get this error message that says iTunes cannot connect to iTunes store. All my music still play but this error message is annoying. All is well when connected to the network. When did this feature started? It never happen with iTunes 12.1.

Windows 10

Posted on Dec 14, 2016 7:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2017 5:52 PM

This is a known issue on 12.5.4.42. If you launch iTunes with an internet connection and then turn it off, you will not get the message. And, movies will play normally. If you launch iTunes with no internet connection, each song will generate a message and movies will not play. And as mentioned, you can downgrade iTunes to 12.5.3.17 to get around the issue, but you will loose support for devices running iOS 10.2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2017 5:52 PM in response to Rey729

This is a known issue on 12.5.4.42. If you launch iTunes with an internet connection and then turn it off, you will not get the message. And, movies will play normally. If you launch iTunes with no internet connection, each song will generate a message and movies will not play. And as mentioned, you can downgrade iTunes to 12.5.3.17 to get around the issue, but you will loose support for devices running iOS 10.2

Dec 14, 2016 8:02 PM in response to Rey729

OK. Just found out that this issue is not limited to Windows. Both my MacMini is having the same problem. Error message pops up when I play my music and the computer is not connected to the network. I was able to revert one of my laptop to 12.5.3 and there is no problem. I guess this feature 😉 just started on 12.5.4.

Dec 18, 2016 7:06 AM in response to Rey729

Yes, is happening on all iTunes upgrades to 12.5.4 that I have tried on different devices.

It is extremely annoying and makes iTunes unusable when not connected to a network. Don't upgrade iTunes 12.5.4 unless you want to do a lot of clicking.

We have various iPads and Macs in live performances that we don't want connected to public networks for various important reasons and every time we hit play or click anything in iTunes a dialog pops up "iTunes could not connect to the iTunes store. The network is down or unavailable."

What the?! We know the network is down and we want it that way. Just play the local track - why connect to the store? We are trying to downgrade but have live performances through Christmas! We have tried disabling everything related to the Apple Store we can think or find.

Anyone have any idea why this message keeps popping up with every click?

iTunes 12.5.4 Trying Connect To iTunes Store While In Airplane Mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.