Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Systems/library/Frameworks/CoreServices.fra...metadata

Using WebRoot. When scanning, WebRoot detects Systems/library/Frameworks/CoreServices.fra...etadata.framework/Versions/A/Supp ort/mds

as a threat.

Is this a legitimate or Webroot problem?

Mini, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Microsoft-o-phobic - Apple snob!

Posted on Dec 15, 2016 6:12 AM

10 replies

Dec 15, 2016 11:44 AM in response to Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy wrote:

You did not read the thread, or answer the question. Please stop responding. You are no help.

I understand my response was brief, but the answer is not to use "Webroot" or any similarly categorized junk. Non-Apple "anti-virus" products are worthless and serve no beneficial purpose on Macs. Uninstall it.

I trust you find that more comprehensive answer to be appropriate.

Dec 15, 2016 12:43 PM in response to Buddy Boy

That file is a legitimate part of macOS. Specifically, it's a process involved in the Spotlight search functionality.

Further, there is no malware known to replace that file with a malicious file... and that file is code signed anyway, which should prevent such tampering. It's also, in El Capitan and Sierra (OS X 10.11 and 10.12), protected by a feature called System Integrity Protection which prevents modification of files like that. So, I feel confident in saying it's the real deal, and not a malicious replacement.

Do not allow Webroot to remove it.

Systems/library/Frameworks/CoreServices.fra...metadata

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.