Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

com.apple.Safari.SafeBrowsing.Service quit unexpectedly.

Hi,

Every 5-10 minutes i get a pop-up with the message com.apple.Safari.SafeBrowsing.Service quit unexpectedly.

I can then click ignore and it will go away but it will come back after 5-10 minutes.

Can someone help me?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.1)

Posted on Dec 16, 2016 12:57 AM

4 replies

Dec 16, 2016 12:17 PM in response to Eric Root

It doesn't seem to be directly related to Safari, but instead the SafeBrowsing service - and more specifically, some data fed to that service by Google. I was getting this popup every minute or so on a couple of machines running 10.12.2, and was able to get it to stop by removing a few files from /private/var/folders/... buried in there is a subfolder named 'com.apple.Safari.SafeBrowsing' which contains another folder named 'Google'. Emptied that folder (3 files) and the issue has stopped.

The crash report noted that the crashed thread was reading these Google files specifically, which is why I ditched 'em.

User uploaded file

com.apple.Safari.SafeBrowsing.Service quit unexpectedly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.