Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FireWire Target disk mode

I'm having problems with this feature.

My Mac OS isn't working so I want to connect the powerbook to another computer so I can make backup of the files and and then reinstall the Mac OS.

I tried to use Target mode but the other computer only recognizes the powerbook CDrom drive. I can't acess the HD.

What can I do to make the HD accessible through Target disk mode?

Thanks!

Powerbook G4 15"

Posted on Dec 20, 2006 12:53 PM

3 replies

Feb 6, 2007 1:36 AM in response to jpvale

Dear Jpvale,

I might also point out that the drive not being mount able due to device failure is the most likely cuase of this problem. If the original harddrive is in a laptop there are no cabling issues to worry about nore slave issues. If you turn on the laptop and you get a blinking question mark with a little floppy disk then that hard drive is dead and needs replaced because it cannot be mounted by the computer its in and more than likely can't be mounted by another computer through target mode either. the best case is that you might have dropped it and shook the connections loose in which case the whole thing can be salvaged by opening it up and reassuring the connections on the inside at which time the drive and the computer will come up like they did before the problem. but more than likely the drive crashed at some point or another and needs a replacement. you might be able to salvagethe data on your drive with a small trick of freezing it and then dropping it and then throwing it into a hard drive enclosure and quickly ripping all the information off of it. I hope this long blab has been of some use to you.

FireWire Target disk mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.